Family Files Lawsuit Against Amazon After Fire Caused by Hoverboard Burns Down...

Family Files Lawsuit Against Amazon After Fire Caused by Hoverboard Burns Down Home

Image Source |

Last year, the hoverboard craze literally caught fire when dozens of hoverboards were reportedly catching fire or exploding all over the United States. Safety concerns resulted in retailers pulling out the devices from shelves back in December. However, Amazon recalled its hoverboards too late; a Nashville family’s $1 million home burned down as a result of a hoverboard fire. Now, the homeowners of the Nashville home, Brian and Megan Fox, are filing a $30 million lawsuit for damages against Amazon and their subsidiaries. The family is also requesting the jury to consider additional financial penalties against the retailer, along with compensation for any physical and emotional distress suffered by the family. The family contends that the retail giant sold the hoverboard toy even when it was being declared dangerous.

hoverboard-300x135 Family Files Lawsuit Against Amazon After Fire Caused by Hoverboard Burns Down Home
Image Source |

The Fox family is laying claim that Amazon and its subsidiaries had information about the danger of the hoverboard toy well in advance of December when the Foxes bought it as a Christmas gift for their 14-year old son, and well in advance of the January 9 fire that struck down the Fox home. The family’s lawyer, Steve Anderson, of Nashville law firm Anderson and Reynolds PLC also contends that Amazon should have known that the product was being misrepresented on their website, and that when calls for recall were given for the hoverboard, it was the company’s duty to inform all those who purchased the device to bring in or send back the dangerous device. The father, Brian Fox, rescued two of his children from the second floor of the burning home, but in the process, Brian and his teenage son suffered injuries after falling from a ladder. And the most horrific experience aside from the father and two children nearly getting killed was watching the entire home burn down including almost every single possession of the entire family.

Video Courtesy of YouTube:

The only things saved were their vehicles and a handful of books and pictures that suffered water damage but were able to be dried out. The Foxe’s lawsuit lists the online seller of the hoverboard on Amazon as “W-Deals.” However, this turned out to be a sham company that is registered to an apartment in New York City. As of press time W-Deals has not responded to requests from lawyers for the case. The lawsuit alleges that the Foxe’s were sold a counterfeit product made in China instead of a leading brand with a Samsung lithium ion battery that is usually sold in Amazon. According to Tennessee product liability law, if the manufacturer cannot be found then the seller is held responsible for the product. Hoverboards, a popular Christmas gift in 2015, are now largely known for mechanical issues like overheating and causing fires or explosions. Amazon and other retailers later banned the sale of hoverboards citing safety concerns. Similar cases have been recorded all over the United States including one popular event caught on CCTV and broadcast on new channels of a hoverboard suddenly exploding and causing a fire in an Illinois home.

Previous articleBrick-Laying Robot Needs Only Two Days to Build Full-Sized House
Next articleThis Robot Will Shovel Snow from Your Driveway and Even Rake Your Leaves
My name is Khristine Curay but my friends call me "KC". I'm a passionate about writing and love cool stuff and keeping up with what's new in technology especially smart phones and latest gadgets. I have been a technology writer at since 2016 and enjoy watching technology trends and following up on new tech entrants to the market who work on breakthrough stuff. I'm also a movie junkie, love music, fashion, pets and nature. I'm an outgoing,friendly and adventurous person and you can always message me here at [email protected]

Leave a Reply