Like Maya Angelou used to say, “We are our own she-roes”. Given by how the world is now, we better be in charge of our own safety. Times are changing, for better and for worse. Only thing constant is the perpetual need to keep our women safe. The skyrocketing count of the number of harassment and violence cases is a major area of concern today.
In distress situations, your mobile phones can prove to be your best companions and protector. With intense market penetration of the smartphones even in the remotest areas of the country, technology is readily available on your fingertips. It is important to utilize the technologies that your smartphones provide these days. Innumerable safety apps for women are available in app stores, let us have a look at the few simple and easily accessible ones:
Available on Windows phone, this app is dedicated to the martyr of a woman, whose brutal and inhumane rape case in Delhi (capital of India) shook the entire nation and highlighted the immediate need of women’s safety.
How to use:
- In emergency situations a single touch distress signal can be sent through a call or a message to a specified group or contact.
- App can be configured in such a way that a feeble shake will send an emergency message
- Moreover, the app can also send alerts about the location of the user to the chosen contacts with accurate updates after every 300 meters
- Circle of 6
This app saw a sharp rise in downloads right after the devastating Delhi Gang Rape. It is a mobile way to connect with most trusted friends – to stay close, stay safe and prevent violence before it happens!
How to use:
- This app lets you choose six trusted friends to add to your circle. If you get into an uncomfortable or risky situation, be it on campus, or commuting back from work or on a date, it can be used to automatically send your circle a pre-programmed SMS alert message, with your exact location using GPS.
- In critical situations, it can be used to call two pre-programmed national hotlines or a local emergency number of your choice.
- It’s quick. It’s discreet. Two taps on your iPhone is all it takes.
The creators want the app to become a vehicle for a social movement that champions safe and healthy relationships.
How to use:
- At the press of the power button of your smartphone 2 times, it consecutively begins sending out alert messages every 2 minutes to your contacts that you have fed into the app as the designated receivers or guardians.
- The message says “I am in danger. I need help. Please follow my location.”
- The receiver will receive a link to the location every 2 minutes giving them the updated location.
- One can also use this to get updates on the crime scene in India and a “Tips Feed” option exclusively gives you safety tips in an emergency situation.
It is a refreshing change to see our celebrities working towards serious social causes and that is exactly what makes this app even more interesting. Bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor Khan is the face of this app as she chose to endorse the cause and bring it to limelight.
- Fight Back
CanvasM, its developers, claim this to be India’s first mobile safety app for both men and women. They first created this for Tech Mahindra staff and after attaining popularity went on to publicize it.
How to use:
- This application sends SOS alerts from the phone by enabling users to push a central button and generate a security alert.
- Fight Back uses GPS, SMS, location maps, GPRS and wide range of communication channels such as SMS, emails and Facebook account by sending panic messages to inform close contacts in case of a threat.
- SOS-Stay Safe
Developed by iXtentia, this is an Android app that helps women to send out SOS alerts to family and friends in case of distress and emergencies.
How to use:
- With the help of this app, a simple shake gesture can be used to raise an alarm and there is also a provision of customizing the intensity of the shake as per user requirements.
- The app also sends an emergency message, the battery level of the device, the location of the user as well as one minute of audio recording. The GPS feature keeps track of your whereabouts.
These applications can come in handy not only if one owns a smartphone but possesses a smart and alert mind. Women already are said to be blessed with sharp instincts so use that appropriately and yea don’t waste your battery playing Candy Crush, save some for safety!