How to Play the Ouya with a PS3 Controller
It was supposed to be a $99 game changer (terrible pun intended). The Ouya Android game console was supposed to completely revolutionize the way that we play video games in our living rooms, but it has faced its fair share of issues since its retail launch a short while ago. One of the biggest issues that people have encountered is with the laggy controller. What if you could use a more familiar controller on the Ouya instead?
The good news is that it is actually pretty easy to pair the PlayStation DualShock 3 wireless controller from the PS3 to your Ouya game console. The process is somewhat similar to pairing your DS3 controller to your PS3, except there are some little quirks that make pairing to the Ouya a little different.
- Turn on the Ouya.
- Plug in the PS3 controller using a miniUSB cable to the full size USB port on the back of the Ouya.
- Assuming you’re on the newest firmware, the Ouya should recognize it as a controller.
- Test the controller in the menus to make sure it works.
- Double tap the PS button to return to the home screen.
- You are now set up to use the PS3 controller in wired mode.
- For Bluetooth mode, turn off the Ouya by holding the power button for 5 seconds.
- Remove the USB cable from both the Ouya and the PS3 controller.
- Turn the Ouya back on and wait for the controller to connect. This should happen pretty quickly.
And that’s it… when it works. The DualShock 3 is not going to be compatible with every game on the Ouya, but it works great with Shadowgun (better than the Ouya controller), for example. The other hiccup is that the PS3 controller might not turn itself off when you turn off the Ouya, so you’ll need to hold the PS button to do that separately.
Posted in: Android, Gaming