T-Mobile Prices HTC One Smartphone at $99 with No Contract – Sort Of

Now that T-Mobile is billing itself as the uncarrier, doing away with standard service contracts, we’re left wondering how much it’s going to cost to get our hands on the hottest new devices. The HTC One is one of the most highly anticipated smartphones of the year and it looks like T-Mobile USA is willing to sell it to you for just $99. And that’s without a contract too.

Of course, this comes with a massive caveat. The catch is that you’re not on the hook for only the $99. That’s just the up-front payment. After that, you’ll be paying monthly installments (of a yet to be determined amount) until you’ve effectively paid off the full price for the HTC One. Alternatively, you can pay the full retail price for the phone from the beginning, which should be in the $600 kind of range. By comparison, the iPhone 5 is also $99 sans contract with monthly installments of $20. The HTC One monthly installments should be comparable.

While it is refreshing to see one of the nation’s four major carriers adopt the no-contract model, it is going to be sad for all the people who have grown accustomed to carrier-subsidized devices. It’ll be interesting to see if this “uncarrier” approach will ultimately help or hurt T-Mobile’s bottom line, but they do have “Simple Choice” plans starting at $50 a month for unlimited talk, text and 500MB. Then again, if you’re tacking on the $20 monthly installment, your monthly bill suddenly balloons to $70 before taxes.

[Source]

1. I got away from T-mobile because they really burned me with an Early Termination Fee. This new approach is just the thing to bring me back.

2. josh says:

All carriers have horrible customer service and all of them can be miss leading. It all just depends on which one works best for you and which one you have the best luck with.

3. catinhotlanta says:

I’ve been with TMobile for 11 years and have had almost no problems. if you are a long time customer, ask to to speak to customer loyalty and you may get a better price. That’s what I’ve done my last two upgrades and they caved each time to keep me as a customer

4. Tmobile Nick says:

OK so for all the miss informed consumers out there. You tell me where you can get unlimited 4g LTE, talk, and text for under 100$$ oh and that’s including insurance! BTW you just paid 148 after tax in store. Get on that magenta train or get left behind

5. Marisa KittyCat says:

Ok. So you just pay the $99 down payment, and $20 per month for 2 years? Are you required to get their phone plan, or no? Because I just want the phone and not T-Mobile as my carrier. I use Simple Mobile ($40 a month for unlimited talk, text).

6. Jack Burton says:

You neglected to compare what other carriers charge for TRULY UNLIMITED talk, text and 4G web when you made your “Then again, if you’re tacking on the $20 monthly installment, your monthly bill suddenly balloons to $70 before taxes.” comment. The other carriers charge you full price for your device too….why would they make you wait 18-22 months to get a new device if that wasn’t the case?????? Then, with the other carriers, your monthly bill remains the same after the “my upgrade finally arrived” time frame while at T-Mobile your price drops and you’re only paying for the plan alone…sounds like they are indeed the “uncarrier”. Maybe a fair comparison going forward would be a much better approach to reporting.

• StaticBliss says:

The problem with your rebuttal is that you don’t get unlimited data for $50 on tmobile. The article clearly states the correct amount and has a good point (although admittedly a bit unclear). Tmobile unlimited plan $70 + monthly phone fee $20 = way higher than say year unlimited everything contract on Sprint. It only helps people who may be leaving their carrier soon, which is ironically probably true of most people on tmobile (backed by recent unsubscribe reports) because their 4g network is lagging so far behind. Writer of the article was smart to caution people

7. I might think twice, I just left Tmobile for being the most corrupt corporation ever. They consistently lied to me in order to give me a “deal” only to turn around, not give the deal, and then claim “I misunderstood”. When I tried to get a written transcript of the conversation, they blocked my efforts to do so. They are corrupt, and will get that 800 from you in some way.

• All2shop says:

Me my Wife and Brother and his Wife has been with Tmobile since the SideKick came out. That’s 7-years with Tmobile and no problems at all. Just make shur you get the full coverage insurance on your phones. Anything goes wrong with it just call Customer Care and they will replace it. FREE since you are paying that monthly insurance fee.$4.00 to $7.99

8. Either your saving a little or a heck of a lot with tmobil. Bye bye AT&T. I will be saving over $800 in 2 years with Tmobile.