iOS 6.1 Evasi0n Jailbreak Causes Stock Weather App To Crash, Full Fix Coming

Evasi0n

Within the first 48 hours of being released, it is being reported that evasi0n, the newest jail-breaking tool, was used over 1.7 million times. Despite the huge success and praise, it seems as if the “evad3rs” hit a small bump in the road.

“Shortly after evasi0n was released this morning, we started getting reports from readers that the Weather app no longer worked on their iPhones. So I checked mine out, and sure enough, it wouldn’t even open,” said Cody Lee of iDownloadBlog.

Hackers and programmers never leave the basement and go outside anyway right? So why would they have to check the weather? This is the exact notion that MuscleNerd, one of the evad3rs, tweeted about:

“For those seeing the Weather app problem, @planetbeing has started working on a fix. Until then, just don’t go outside”

Apparently, according to numerous tweets, the stock Weather app was not even shown on iDevices until the users got the jailbreak. However, a fix and an update are already on the way to Cydia for current evasi0n users. If you can’t wait another second to get your weather back, and can’t manage to download any other weather app from the App Store, check out Funky Space Monkey‘s fix via Gizmodo:

1. BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
2. Launch Cydia and install Mobile Terminal and Open SSH
3. Launch Mobile Terminal and type the following followed by a return: su root
4. Now type in the default password, if you haven’t changed it: alpine
5. Copy and paste the following script into Mobile Terminal:

#!/bin/bash
chmod -x /usr/libexec/mobile_installation_proxy
killall -9 mobile_installation_proxy
rm /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-045.csstore
launchctl stop com.apple.mobile.installd
launchctl start com.apple.mobile.installd

while [ ! -f /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist ];
do
sleep 1
done
while [ ! -f /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-045.csstore ];
do
sleep 1
done

sleep 10

chmod +x /usr/libexec/mobile_installation_proxy
sync
reboot

6. Your device should reboot at this point and all will supposedly be well.

Have you already jailbroken your iDevice? Is the stock Weather app having issues or did the fix from Funky Space Monkey work? Let us know in the comments below.

[ Source ]

1. ky says:

what should i do if my device wont reboot after doing all the steps ???

2. iPhone 5s says:

after i jailbroke iOS 6.1.2 on iPhone 4s the weather apps still crashing. anyone notice it?

3. vidmas says:

sleep 1
    done

sleep 10

chmod +x /usr/libexec/mobile_installation_proxy
    sync
    reboot

I just did fix.tx file, put them to documents, open, copy text and using mobile terminal run them, mobile terminal>info>shortcut menu> + do file fix plist. After, go root and run your maded file. In the end press return, phone reboots – uallla. And appsync still on my phone too.

4. iMars says:

iPhone 4s with 6.1 and Evasi0n JB… not working for me :(

5. John says:

Didn’t work for me on iPhone 5 6.1 After the reboot command it just kinda sat there so I’m not sure what went wrong

6. Jimmy says:

Worked for me perfectly. Only issue i had was how to copy/paste into the terminal app but I just used “shortcut menu” in the terminal all and pasted it there and it worked fine.

7. Jailbreak breaks Dish Explorer App . . . .

8. James says:

Work! And im on a 4S, ios 6.1 :)

9. Bill says:

Mine weather app stop working after I installed Winter board.I thought this mite help to narrow down the problem. Iphone 4 OSI 6.1 will wait for patch.

10. Harry says:

After the JB the app worked until I rebooted my iPhone. After the fix, app works fine … until I rebooted the iPhone again (not the reboot as part of the fix, but an extra one after executing the complete fix). Guess I’ll wait for the fix in Cydia.

11. haseeb says:

worked like a charm fellows, thanks alot :)

12. Tommy says:

Copied this code into the terminal on my iphone 4s running 6.1 and upon reboot the weather app continued to crash unfortunately. Thanks for the help all the same

13. Andrew Hamling says:

The script worked like a charm for me.Thanks for the quick fix!

14. InYoMommasBasementWithYourCat says:

Would have never noticed lol had it not been posted online :P! Weather app ? What’s that? (:

15. vincent_mikes says:

Luckily I don’t really take a look at the weather app.

16. My weather app won’t work after the jailbreak. Worked fine initially but after a reboot of the phone, it ceased to work and won’t open. I’m not going to risk messing with terminal on my phone or SSH stuff and will just wait for the update to push over Cydia. It’s not a huge deal (the widget in the notification center works so that’s mostly what I used anyway) so I can live with waiting for a fix rather than bricking my phone doing something by accident.

I’m using a 64GB iPhone 4S running 6.1 by the way.

17. anon says: