Google Nexus 7 Android 4.2 Lag Caused By Google Currents

Google Nexus 7
The Google Nexus 7 tablet shipped with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and it was pretty great, but then tablet owners caught a glimpse of the updated Android 4.2 and wanted a taste for themselves. If you’ve upgraded your Nexus 7 to Android 4.2 and are experiencing some crushing lag and sluggishness, it seems that the solution is really simple. Blame Google Currents.

Google Currents is a magazine-style news reader that, by default, automatically updates itself in the background to give you the latest news. This appears to the culprit for all that slowdown, so getting your Nexus 7 back up to speed, so to speak, is pretty straight forward. All you have to do is disable the background updates.

To do this, open up Google Currents, tap on the three-dot menu button in the top right corner, choose settings, and uncheck the “Enable Background Sync” box. Reboot your Nexus 7 and you should be smooth as butter again.

If not, you can go even further and disable Currents altogether. To do this, open up the tablet’s main settings menu, go to Apps, and then All (by tapping on “Running” first). Tap on Currents, then tap on the Disable button near the top. Yes, this takes away one of Android 4.2′s big features, but that’s a small price to pay to get a super snappy tablet experience again. Hopefully Google addresses this in Android 4.2.1.

Have you tried tried disabling Google Currents? Did this solve your lag problems or not?

[Source]

1. bob says:

My nexus 7 drains battery from 100% to 0% in two days when Idle (i.e. off, but not shut down) since I upgraded to 4.2.2. I tried to disable currents, which I have never heard of and never use, but the only option it gives in app->setting which you click on disable is “reset to factory version”. how do I disable it?

2. Hi,
    Thank you for this article, I disabled the Google currents but still slightly laggy.
    For me did not worked well…

3. Blake says:

I would like to confirm that this fix does work, my app drawer and home screen were stuttering

4. Ugh, dealing with this issue myself right now. My Nexus 7 was smooth as hell before…

They’ll never replicate the speed and stability of iOS and its devices.

6. kenw44 says:

ps. i hope the latest update to 4.21 fixes this as well as screen flicker issue on 4.2—not just the remember december issue.

7. kenw44 says:

i saw this tip on a couple of utube vids about nexus 7 tips and tricks a few days ago. yep it works on n7 but no results on ics on my asus transformer.

8. I was actually annoyed that my super buttery Nexus 7 became laggy and choppy at times, especially when pulling up the app drawer or my notification drop downs. Disabling currents completely in the apps menu resolve this for me. My tablet feels like it was on 4.1 right out of the box. Snappy, smooth, nearly no hesitations. I like the currents reader, but I like having a snappy tablet much more.

9. mmmmattd says:

This isn’t the problem. I’ve had Currents disabled since the launch issues with low space caused lag. I updated to 4.2, have lag again and double checked Currents to see that it was still disabled. Lag is here once again. I’m guessing those who had success with this fix never had or noticed the original lag issues.

10. nick says:

Thanks it is faster now

11. Jivester says:

Thank you thank you thank you! That made a huge difference. I thought it was my profiles. This made a big difference in my experience and brought back the butter! But why is this so? Should I expect similar issues on my Galaxy Nexus?