Nokia Lumia 920 has Fastest Smartphone Display on the Market

Nokia Lumia 920

The Nokia Lumia 920 seems to be a much-needed win for Microsoft and Nokia in the smartphone world. So far, the device appear to be in reasonably high demand and has already jumped to the top of Amazon’s AT&T best seller list. While there are quite a few unique reasons to consider the Lumia 920, did you know the 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ screen is actually the fastest smartphone screen on the market?

According to Nokia’s Senior Technology Manager, Jussi Ropo, rendering needs to happen at a stable 60fps in order to get rid of jaggedness in moving content. It’s also important to consider how fast an LCD can change from one color to another. In Ropo’s own words:

“First, when you measure 60fps it means 16.7ms – you have a new image coming every 16.7ms on the display. It is intuitive to think that when your LCD response or transition time is longer than this one frame period then you will actually get quite a lot of blur. This is because your liquid crystal is still trying to get the previous value at the same time as it has to start turning again for the next frame.”

In order to provide a faster, crisper and less blurry screen experience, Nokia boosted the voltage for each LCD pixel, dropping the response time down from the usual 16.7ms to an impressive 9ms. According to Nokia, the complete transition speeds are around 23ms.

I’ve yet to have the privilege to see the new Nokia Lumia 920 in person, but I can imagine the end result is a sharp and impressive looking display. Any Lumia 920 owners out there, what do you think of the display? Is it as good as Nokia claims it is or can you not tell the difference when compared to your previous smartphone?

[ source ]

1. cece says:

I just ordered the 920 and am patiently waiting for :). I was actually originally going to get the iPhone. But even the Rep on the phone told me she has the 920 Ans would take over the iPhone personally. Its 4g lte so much faster n so far no problems. I haven’t had a Nokia in like 13 yrs lol….anyone have any other things good or bad about this phone pls do tell.

2. I switched from iPhone for the Lumia 920. The screen and the super-responsive OS combination is awesome.

3. firehorse66 says:

And it’s super-sensitive too. You can use it with your gloves on :-)

4. Raam says:

100/60=1.6777 ms for each image =,=

5. Stam says:

I simply love it. I was always an Apple “zombie” but after owning the 4s and then upgrading to a 5 to experience little difference…I decided to give “old faithful” Nokia a try. WOW!!! Is all I can say. I bought it on the release date and honestly was amazed at the speed, clarity of the screen and how easy it is to use. Bravo Microsoft! and Nokia of course.

• Meefmaster says:

Could you tell me how the battery life is compared to the iphone 4, 4s or 5? Often times when a better screen comes a long it seems like it just sucks the battery a lot more.

6. AlanS says:

I have a 920 and its like watching a mini, high-end hdtv. matter of fact, the pic is a little better than my hdtv. its so good, I found myself watching stuff on it for no good reason sometimes :-)

7. Van Nguyen says:

im using the nokia lumia 920 now, and I can tell you that the screen is unmatchable, not the iphone 5, not the galaxy sIII ot any phone out there can match the crisp, clear and fast respond of the nokia lumia 920. BTW i ditched my iphone 5 for this lumia 920 and it was totally worth it.

• Anonymous says:

i ditched an iPhone 5 for the HTC 8x. Didn’t have much of a choice since i’m on Verizon. i don’t know what the FPS rate on this thing is, but it is really smooth too. maybe it has more to do with the OS rather than the hardware.

the 8x is sold out in every store in NYC. i wanted to pick up a second one as gift but there are non to be bought :/

• jt says:

Thanks for the app tips solomonshv, ConnectivityShortcuts is a must! BTW the Nokia Music app that comes installed features mix radio which gives you downloadable content for offline use. Also Nokia Maps have this same feature, Saves a bundle on the dataplan when you can get this via wifi before heading out …

• cece says:

I just ordered the 920 si its good to see good positive revuews

How can you write an article about a phone if you haven’t even seen it in the first place???

• Tobin says:

erm, Erick – the author clearly reported on talking to a Nokia rep – and reported it as the fastest in terms of pixel refresh rate on the market. Seeing the phone wouldn’t help report that statistic. He then asked if people actually feel any difference in ‘reality’. So, pretty easy to write an article about a phone he hasn’t seen. Try actually reading and taking in the text next time. If an author writes about atomic theory or reports a car has broken the world speed record, but wasn’t actually there to see the atoms or the car, does that mean the article’s a waste of time too??

And oh yes, to the author – the screen is awesome. Especially outside. It’s super clear and a real step up from my Lumia 800.

• Anonymous says:

Thanks Tobin and Van Nguyen. Great to know. I personally was looking into owning one back before it was announced as an AT&T exclusive. Unfortunately, AT&T has very limited coverage in my neck of the woods.

• jeapstop says:

I got one which is very good. Don’t worry the exclusivity is not going to be forever. It will come to Verizon later, or you can wait for the next generation of it.