Nokia Lumia 920 Costs $450 Off Contract, Just $150 More than the LG Nexus 4

It seems that AT&T is ready to ensure that Nokia Lumia 920 makes it into the hands of as many consumers as possible. Not only is this high-end flagship Windows Phone 8 device only $99 with a two year contract, it is actually only $450 outright as well. Recently, Google announced the LG Nexus 4 would only cost $299 and would be totally unlocked for use on any supported carrier you pleased. In contrast, the AT&T version of the 920 will still be locked to their network but it is only $150 more.

This kind of aggressive pricing certainly could make Windows Phone 8 a more appealing choice for consumers that previously never considered a device running on Window’s mobile OS. You have to wonder though, how does the Nokia Lumia 920 compare to the LG Nexus 4?

In many ways, the LG Nexus 4 is considerably better. First, it has 2GB of RAM and a quad-core processor. In comparison, the Nokia Lumia 920 only has 1GB of RAM and a dual-core processor. One thing worth noting though is that Microsoft did a VERY good job optimizing WP7 devices with single-core processors to give them performance that was seemingly on par with many Android dual-core devices. Don’t be surprised if the same holds true with Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 920. Either way, there is no denying that the Nexus 4 has stronger processing and RAM abilities.

What about the rest of the specs? Actually, they both have positives and negatives that help even each other out. We’ll highlight a few features that are great about each device:

• The Nexus 4 has a 4.7-inch screen, which is .2-inches larger.
  • The Nexus 4 has a more developed ecosystem with Android 4.2, meaning more apps.
  • The Nexus 4 is likely faster than the Lumia 920, even if the performance difference isn’t that noticeable for most users.

Here are some of the pros for the Lumia 920:

• The Lumia 920 screen works even when you are wearing gloves.
  • The Lumia 920 supports 4G LTE.
  • The Lumia 920 PureView camera is considered somewhat better.
  • The Lumia 920 has 32GB of storage, as opposed to the 8 or 16GB storage in the Nexus 4

The bottom-line is that both phones are great devices that will likely appeal to different kinds of users. They both also have the same screen resolution and both offer wireless charging technology. Which should you get? It likely comes down to the ecosystem.

If you want/need the huge app library present with Google’s Android 4.3, go with the Nexus 4. If you are willing to be an early adapter, the Nokia Lumia 920 is one of the best Windows Phone 8 devices around and will make a great smartphone— even if it might not have quite as good a processor or RAM when compared to some of the higher-end Android devices on the market.

Which device would you rather get? The Lumia 920 or the Nexus 4? If Nokia and Microsoft were to eventually release an unlocked version of the 920 for around the same price as AT&T, would you consider it?

1. PiCASSiMO says:

I am currently typing this post on my Nexus 4, and I was thinking of changing to the Windows Phone 8 platform from my old T-Mobile G2. But then Nokia and AT&T pulled this exclusive BS and I may wait for 6 months and give the N4 to my wife and then try out the 920.

the argument is moot as long as ATT is the only choice for the 920

3. I don’t care for apps. really.
    So I got the lumia. OS experience is a slice of cake.

4. Newlumia says:

im getting rid of my idiot phone and getting a lumia. “yah butt other phones have this or that, blah blah blah.

5. Michael in Maine says:

Be warned, according to the local AT&T Store, “off-contract” with AT&T does not mean “unlocked.” It just means no contract. So, you pay $450 for a phone you can only use on AT&T? I don’t think so!

6. Iphone to Now Lumia Fan says:

Mine will be shipped tommorow.Lumia 920 Black.

7. AlexanderRN says:

AT&T are crooks. Called 4 corporate stores today and asked if they will sell me the Lumia 920 when released for the full price without contract extension and each one said no. Always happens where a consumer is willing to pay full price for the phone so no contract extension and they won’t allow it.

8. dominic says:

oh yeah, got a free wireless charger as well…….$99 and a free wireless charger? That was the icing on the cake. I was getting it regardless.

9. dominic says:

My only real downer about the lumia is the weight of the phone…….

10. dominic says:

After 4 iphone’s I am all in with the Lumia 920- Getting it tomorrow in matte black. CANT WAIT !!!

11. J.M.J says:

Will get one when it comes to VZW

That’s an easy one, Lumia 920 beats any other phone out there.
    Optical image stabilization, super sensitive screen, wireless charging, offline GPS, clearblack display…there is really no competition here.

13. Jerry Bao says:

This is no competition right here. Lumia 920 wins hands down as the better phone.

14. Max Archie says:

how can it be faster without 4G??? are they kidding me? :/

4 cores running that rubbish operating system Android just means pathetic battery life. The Lumia 920 is so much better there’s simply no comparison.

16. patrick says:

“exclusively” from AT&T?. to hell with that.

17. the lumia has LTE and more storage….easy one….

18. Jacob says:

What are those quad cores even clocked at? Most people think more cores = more power, but that’s just untrue. If your apps and OS don’t make use of all the cores, then you are taking a speed hit no matter how you look at it.

19. Tufan says:

What about Lumia’s superb camera. What about Lumia’s look. What about gorilla display that Lumia has. Many colors etc. etc. NFC. Superb map app. Nokia music. Etc.

20. G.G. says:

I’m leaving my iPhone for the lumina 920.

Are you guys crazy or what? Don’t you know that LG makes very low quality phones. I don’t care if LG phone has quad cores or 1k cores, I just know one thing that LG phones are worst.

I will always buy Nokia, and this time I’m buying Lumia 920.

22. MC says:

Never liked LG build quality.. prefer nokia