Kindle Fire HD 7-inch VS Nook HD: How Do They Compare?

Things keep getting better in the 7-inch tablet market. First we had the release of Google’s Nexus 7 earlier this year, giving us a near vanilla Android experience. Next, we had a worthy successor to the popular Kindle Fire in the form of the Fire HD 7-inch and 8.9-inch models. Yesterday we received word that Nook was going the club with an improvement to its Nook Tablet line.

When it comes to B&N tablets, they essentially have proven to be nothing more than e-readers with a few extra tweaks. The Nook Tablet was a major step up from the single-core Nook Color, but it still lacked the level of content of the Kindle Fire. With the announcement of a new Nook Video service and the Nook HD and HD+, B&N just brought their game to the next level.

So how does the Nook HD stand up against the 7-inch Kindle Fire? Take a look at the table below to get an idea:

As you can see, the two 7-inch versions are actually quite evenly matched. In some ways, the Nook is faster and has a few key items like MicroSD. At the same time, the Nook lacks a camera and has considerably fewer apps through its own store.

If you care about having a large selection of apps, the Amazon Kindle Fire HD is clearly the winner. It’s also worth noting that its video service is much more established than the up-and-coming Nook Video offering. Content is often key in the decision of what tablet to get, and the Fire HD is hard to beat here. If app selection is your only concern, the Nexus 7 might be an even better option, since it has access to the 675,000+ Google Play apps for Android.

Both of these offerings are quite attractive, but B&N has yet to truly “Wow!” us away from Amazon’s offering. The Nook HD is a great step in the right direction, as is the upcoming Nook Video service. If B&N keeps gunning it in the right direction, the gap between Amazon and B&N tablet offerings will continue to shrink.

What do you think? Would you rather have a Nook HD or a Kindle Fire HD 7-inch model?

1. allyde says:

is there anyway ibooks from my iphone can be synced to either of thses? i do not want or wish to get an ipad just to read on a bigger screen

2. TJones says:

Can anyone tell me, if I have two Kindles or a Kindle and a Nook, can 2 devices be synced to the same account? I have a quite a few books on a Kindle Fire, but I want to get my mother either the Fire HD or a Nook. I would like to be able to use one account and not have to start a new account for my mother. Please let me know if it is possible to sync two devices to one account and share books.

3. Action says:

Own a Nook Tablet. Read something like 40+ books in the last year. Love to look around on the internet and check email when lounging around home or traveling. Want to upgrade but I really would have used a camera. Stupid decision not include one.

4. Susan Cohen says:

wanted KFHD hardware but I didn’t want their ecosystem. I love the screen and
    the sound is fantastic but it’s a complete pain even though I’ve got mine rooted
    and have gapps installed.
    Anyways, the KFHD is great on ebook reading and watching movies, thanks to enolsoft blog brings me many video conversion tips, and nice list of apps&games, get me out of the searching troubles.

5. John Appleman says:

I have both the Kindle Fire and NOOK Tablet. The NOOK feels better to hold onto, better user interface, expandable storage (HUGE plus in my book), supports ePub books from other places, like GOOGLE books. NOOK has all of the popular apps out there. Having over 600,000 apps, like the GOOGLE play store, is just filled with junk. Has anyone ever actually looked through all, or most, of these apps like I have? They’re just garbage. Who needs all those apps? I’d prefer having less apps to filter through on the NOOK since they already have everything I need. Also, about the camera, who really uses a camera on their tablet? I’ve never needed to use one nor would I attempt to use if given. I think they made the right choice by having a lower price with lack of a camera than to raise the price and add a camera. I am on the reservation list at my local B&N store for both the 16GB NOOK HD and the 32GB NOOK HD+. Also, just make a statement: I feel that by buying from B&N I’m helping to keep the last major chain of bookstores open. By buying from Amazon, we’re eliminating jobs at our bookstores (over 700 B&N stores) and losing locations to purchase not only eBooks but printed books from. My vote is to keep the last bookstore chain open, so I’m sticking with NOOK.

• Ashley From Nook-eReader.org says:

You made a lot of great points John. I have an old Kindle and a Nook Color and I prefer the Color. I’m on the fence about upgrading to the new Nook HD. I think I’ll wait a bit and see if Santa brings me one for the holiday’s. (Hint Hint). As far as cameras go, I prefer my Nikon. I had a terrible time trying to take pictures with my iphone so I went ount and bought myself a camera. Now I bring my camera with my all the time.

• Melissa F says:

Wow, this is such a great review for me as I’m totally on the fence between the two, but honestly you sort of sold me with your bookstore statement. With seeing Borders and all the other bookstores gone, I’m in favor of supporting B&N just for that!!! My daughter is growing up in the age of awesome technology, BUT it’s nice to be able to go to a bookstore and get a good book for her. Yes, there is the library, but the selection is tough and it helps keep many people in business and with jobs through the old brick n mortar style as well.

I may be one of the few people that just truly uses my device for reading books and magazines and watching videos on Netflix when I am on the road, so I’ve been rather content with the Nook Color, even though some more apps would be nice, but as a glorified e-reader I liked it better than the Kindle Fire and I had an original Kindle e-ink device, so I am looking forward to playing with the new Nook HD.

7. …considerably *fewer* available apps.