Leaked Image of Sony Xperia Play 2 Android PlayStation Smartphone

Standalone portable gaming machines are having a tough time in a world now populated by increasingly powerful smartphones that also happen to play video games. Even though Sony is giving its new PlayStation Vita quite the significant push, it’s still developing gaming-centric smartphones and here is what we think is the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play 2.

No, unlike the PlayStation Vita, the Xperia Play 2 does not appear to have dual thumbsticks or a touch-sensitive panel on the back. Instead, the basic control scheme remains unchanged from the first Xperia Play, meaning you get a D-pad, shoulder buttons, and a couple of touch-sensitive pads in the middle meant to mimic the controls of thumbsticks.

You will notice that they’ve seemingly abandoned the curvaceous nature of the first Xperia Play (and most other Xperia smartphones) for something a little more squared off, though it still has rounded corners. The rumored spec sheet includes a peppy 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor, 4.3-inch 1280×720 display, and an 8.1MP rear camera with LED flash. And yes, it’s PlayStation Certified, of course. The touch sensitive Android buttons seem to point toward Gingerbread, but there’s likely an ICS update in the works too.

There’s no way for us to know if this rendering is legitimate, so take this with a grain of gaming salt.

1. Guest says:

Anyone have any idea as to when this is supposidely coming out?

2. Alex Bilog says:

Box type. Not nice.

3. Palazfras says:

It cant be, should say sony ericsson instead of only sony.

• Hal Motley says:

Apparently Sony are going to drop the Ericsson part of their name around mid-2012. Obviously the guy who made this mockup took that into account.

I just hope that the real one has a Tegra 3 and Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich. If Sony could do that I would get it with absolute sheer determination regardless of cost. Unfortunately, Sony like to stick with Qualcomm’s SnapDragon processors which while being great for average smartphones IMAO shouldn’t be placed inside a dedicated gaming phone which deserves cutting-edge gaming technology.

All in all I really like this mockup and will maybe consider it. If however what I have mentioned above is true then it’s a must buy.

4. Odanhammer says:

I really enjoy my xperia play ,  its got to be the phone best suited to my needs.
    If a Xperia play 2 comes out ,  i’ll be a day one buyer.
    Hope it does come out.

5. Nick Vanadium says:

I would assume its 4g and has more than the crappy 400MB of internal storage of the first one. If so…sign me up!

• Hal Motley says:

Yeah I find it a really fiendish technique when phone manufacturers place a really small amount of internal storage and expect the customer to buy a large MicroSD.

At least Samsung gets it right, they offered a reasonable 16GB internal memory on my Galaxy S II which has stored a decent amount of stuff. Still need the 32GB MicroSD for music and other things.

Here in the UK we don’t (to my knowledge) have 4G. We have HSPA, EDGE and 3G, but no 4G. So 4G isn’t a worry for me. But I understand if you are living abroad that it can be a huge advantage.

6. Alex Bilog says: