ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime Available at BestBuy for $499

Latest news has it that these nVidia Tegra 3 quad-core 32GB 10-inch tablets running customized Android 3.2 Honeycomb were sold out quickly. However, slates are about to reappear soon, or can be shipped to stores (at least in Silicon Valley where I checked) in 3-5 days from now. So anyone feeling holiday blues and 5 Franklins in his/her pocket thats left unspent, may try this toy instead. Droid-Life’s Kellex has put up an interesting video review of the slate, so much of the boring tech specs could be just omitted:

On top of what was being said in this review, it’s worth to mention that the responsiveness is not so stellar throughout the tablet’s UI. ASUS customizations of a clean Android 3.2 are suspected to be responsible for this, then the nVidia Tegra 3 code for drivers and such might be just quite immature for the first Tegra 3 based device.

Yet the tablet is quite agile and popular to the extent that XDA-Developers started to have a harder look at it. First, attempts to root the device were reported as successful ones for at least an earlier version of its firmware, and over-the-air (OTA) firmware updates from ASUS were neutralized — for the time being. No custom ROMs of Ice Cream Sandwich yet, and it’s kind of too early for that development, but certainly improvements over the stock Honeycomb firmware will be on their way.

Like a previous ASUS model, this Eee Pad Transformer Prime will take an optional docking keyboard for another $150 that transforms your Android tablet in to a sort of Android netbook, with the keyboard also hiding an additional battery.

UPDATE: The link of availability of Transformer Primes was valid at the time I posted this article. My apologies for that mess-up that they at BB have every sale. Source of my information is here, so if you intend to track a device, go to that Slickdeals thread. Thank you for your attention.

1. Matthewkullberg says:

Ordered the 24th…..shipping and tracking info sent today!

I ordered one from BB on the 24th as soon as it went live.  It will arrive at my home tomorrow.  Sucks for all those that pre-ordered and are waiting

3. ac says:

C-D-W gets theres first week of February according to a phone operator….Gamestop online only shows they will release 1/6/2012 with a bluetooth gaming controller for ~540….

Anyone have any insight as to where I can get a couple of these iPad Killers??

4. Yeah me too just got my shipping confirmation. I was thinking they were lying and about to cancel my order.

5. Terrence says:

They had them on sale last friday until Christmas. I ordered one friday and just recieved a shipping notification and tracking info an hour ago. This article is a little late to the fact.

6. Randy D. says:

Best Buy is no longer taking orders at this time.  The online site say “Coming Soon” and if you call in they tell you that they had “Pre-Order” on the site and then took it down and repalced it with “Coming Soon”.
    Anyone know of anyone who is taking orders and giving ship dates?

7. Ddecicco3939 says:

Ya this site is bs. Misleading and false information. Best buy isnt getting anything.

8. Sevan B. says:

Thanks for the update. However the Bestbuy link you provided checks the TF101 i.e. original Asus Transformer Tablet, NOT the Prime as evidenced by the item ID of 2475112 embedded in the link. I do hope that the TF201 i.e. Prime does become available in stores soon though.