Thinking of Upgrading Your iPhone to iOS 5?

Some of us were excited when Apple announced the iOS 5 roll out. Unfortunately, reports claim that many iPhone owners who have upgraded are encountering problems. The problems range from lengthy downloads, lost contacts, paid apps that disappear and even bricked phones. Several of my friends bricked their phone and were left with no choice but to do a factory reset, and the painful result is erased notes, photos, videos, and contacts.

Users started tweeting about the problems about an hour after iOS 5 was rolled out. Here are some of the reported cases with suggested fixes, but some do not have any solutions yet. These might give you a clue on what to do if you face the same situation.

1. “Error-34”: This means that iTunes is reporting to the Apple server that your disk no longer has sufficient space but for some users, this may not be the case. There is no solution to this one yet but the error arises when users compress their files to 128 kbps. In the upgrade, the file is being reverted to its uncompressed form so the problem emerges.
  2. “Internal Error 3200”: This one indicates that the authentication servers of Apple are not responding. To fix this, Apple has opened new server space to enable faster downloading but the demand for the update is now declining because of the problems the users have encountered.
  3. “Error 1603”: The cause of this problem is still unidentified. It is supposed to put your iPod or iPhone into recovery mode but it has failed to perform that. This is the case of the “bricked” device as referred to by the users. The only solution to this is to put your phone into forced recovery mode and be prepared to lose your stored data. It is indeed a great idea to make some back-up copies of your data before updating your operating system.

When putting your phone into forced recovery, follow the enumerated steps:

-  Disconnect the USB cable from your iPod or iPhone but make sure to leave the other end connected to the computer.

-  Do not forget to turn off your device. After this, a red slider will appear. Slide this one and wait until your phone shuts off. If the power button does not turn off the device, press the Sleep/wake button or the home button until it shuts off.

-  The Home button should be pressed and held while reconnecting the USB cable to the phone and until the device turns on.

-  Release the button when “Connect to iTunes” screen appears. Follow the prompts.

1. Sherri002 says:

Attempted the upgrade and recieved error -50. Lost all my contacts, notes, photos etc. Called Apple and they asked if I have a Firewall (who doesn’t these days??) and had to turn it off so Itunes could communicate with the phone. After the Sync…..still no contacts, notes or pics. The Apple tech actually said “this has been a frequesnt problem with Firewalls…..the upgrade is INTERRUPTED by the firewall and isn’t able to complete the restore, and you lose the contacts, notes pics etc.” WHAT???????? Apple is AWARE of this problem and doesn’t WARN or NOTIFY the user when they are attempted to upgrade the software to turn of your firewall temporarlily so you don’t lose your data!!!!!!!!!!!   Nice Apple…….appreciate it.

2. Sherri002 says:

3. AirCord says:

My 3 GS also looked like it lost everything when restore abended and after numerous attempts stil wouldn’t complete.  Called Apple.  The second time a rep advised me to cancel out of the bad restore (since it really just “restores” contacts, mail, and calendar).  Then, Sync.  Magicially all my apps got populated, and my music began moving over.  Don’t give up.  Your data is still on your Mac or PC.  There IS a way to sync it over, even if your circumstances are different from mine.

4. Josh says:

Sheez. Do you know what ‘bricked’ means? If you can get back via a factory reset, it isn’t bricked. And of course, with a factory reset, you can just restore from the backup you did just before the upgrade. You’d have to pretty retarded to end up with any serious issues. No iPhone for you.

5. Josh says:

6. Josh says:

7. Josh says:

8. Josh says:

9. Josh says:

10. Josh says:

11. Josh says:

12. bdron says:

During the upgrade I received an error message -1 that my iPhone could not be restored. Therefore I lost all my photos, contacts, free and paid apps that I had previously running on my phone. What a disaster!

13. bdron says:

14. bdron says:

15. bdron says:

16. bdron says:

17. bdron says:

18. bdron says:

19. bdron says:

20. Jon A Hill says:

after upgrading i no longer have access to my photos,camera roll othe ability to email them.

21. Jon A Hill says:

22. Jon A Hill says:

23. Jon A Hill says:

24. Jon A Hill says:

25. H3AdBaBY says:

I experienced absolutely no problems upgrading my 3Gs.Downloaded IOS 5 quickly, fired up iTunes and within 15 minutes upgrade was completed successfully. All apps are present, no loss of any data. It just worked perfectly.

26. H3AdBaBY says:

27. H3AdBaBY says:

28. H3AdBaBY says:

29. H3AdBaBY says:

30. H3AdBaBY says:

31. H3AdBaBY says:

32. H3AdBaBY says:

33. H3AdBaBY says:

34. H3AdBaBY says:

35. H3AdBaBY says:

36. Anon says:

What about the error where the phone no longer reads the SIM card after updating? The phone is left completely unusable, and no amount of resetting and restoring will fix it. We just have to hope that Apple will release another update to patch that error soon…. In the mean time, a good majority of us have no working phone at all. Fail OS Apple, fail.

37. Anon says:

• Wog_Boy says:

Same kind of thing happen to my girlfriend. Sim card locked up. Lucky she remembered what her original password code for the sim was then it decided to restore itself to its last backup… On the other hand my 2nd Gen IPOD touch updated to IOS 5 but I lost everything that was on it and could not find my latest backup to restore to… Bad Apple

• Dean P says:

Doesn’t make sense – iPod Touch 2G only goes up to 4.2.1 and that’s it.

• Uyliyogglihi says:

yes well thats because it doesnt have much room to upgrade and it is a rather old version. sorry

• Wog_Boy says: