Confirmed: Apple Policy Fails to Determine Eligibility of MacBook Pro NVIDIA GPU Problems

Apple hardware is known to be stable, reliable and expensive. Owners of Apple computers are ok with paying more, but that’s because they are getting the high-end goods with great customer service to back it up. But in early 2007 and 2008 things took a bit of a turn, at least they did in the view of a good number of MacBook Pro owners.

In July 2008 Nvidia admitted a high failure rate in some of their graphics processors due to a “packaging defect.” Hold up now, this reason is not explained in much detail beyond that. But many technicians are attributing this problem to improperly applied heat-transfer material (that silver gook that allows thermal energy to transfer from the chip to your heatsink and cooling fan.) The faulty Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor was the GPU chip affected and the problems inevitably resulted in the loss of video or the inability to boot your MacBook Pro entirely. Again, they say a “packaging defect” was the problem. Would it be safe to say the MacBook Pro is the packaging? Nvidia was unavailable to comment on this “packaging problem” as they do not discuss agreements about their hardware partners.

So what did Apple do about this? After Nvidia took the fall they extended their service eligibility beyond the purchase date for two-years, then to three-years, and now four-years. This sounds amazing, but not really considering the PowerBook 5300s and the 190s from 1996 were covered for seven-years.

Apple’s Inability to Determine Eligibilty
Now on to the worst of the problems. Apple’s inability to properly diagnose computers with a GPU failure is a larger failure in itself. So how does it all go down?

You’re running one of the known eligible MacBook Pros with the so called “faulty” Nvidia GPU. It could be either the 15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz model, 17-inch 2.4GHz or early 2008 models.

One day you go to turn on your machine and nothing happens. Some of you are lucky and get a beep, others not; a total lifeless, bongless black screen of death. Sure, you hear those fans and drives whirling giving you a bit of hope, but no matter how long you wait that things not coming up. You then decide to call Apple support. You give them your serial number, they tell you that this computer is eligible for the extended service agreement, you say wow, you guys are the greatest, and you have a smile on your face once again.   They advise you to bring it on down to your local Apple store or authorized service center to be “evaluated.” Here’s where things get dirty.

The “test”
Apple has comprised a method of “evaluating” these systems that isn’t all that thorough. They hook up a USB stick with Nvidia’s diagnostic software, start up your MacBook Pro, it runs some tests and a report is printed out.  You are now set and your repair is covered.   Apple orders you a new logic board and swaps it out. Or not. When a GPU fails and over heats, when heat-transfer material is slopped on your motherboard oozing into parts that it shouldn’t be with that high-lead solder, you may have worse problems than a little software utility can pick up on.  That overheating GPU more than likely cooked itself and created a short in your logic board that wont allow it to boot at all.   This fact doesn’t matter to Apple, if they can’t do a diagnostic then it’s not a GPU failure (they say its the logic board), so in their eyes they are off the hook for the extended-service repair.

This leaves you at the mercy of an out of warranty repair. If you know much about Apple repair fees you’ll know how close you are to buying the latest model MacBook Pro for the price of repairing your old model. That “new logic board” that they say you need can cost over $1000. The infamous Apple logic board fail. What a cash grab this is, and here’s why.

The Call
I made the call to Apple after a friend of mine had his previously declined “eligible” extended-service covered MacBook Pro 17-inch repaired by a third-party service center. The problem was, you guessed it, a faulty GPU. For $260 USD including return shipping from NY to Canada they did a full diagnostics on the system, a 4 hour full load bench test for errors, replaced the nuked NVIDIA GPU with a new one, applied new heat-transfer material (properly), cleaned the heatsink, fan, and determined the logic board was fine despite Apple saying it was the problem, not the GPU. But Apple’s software couldn’t tell them it was the GPU, so Apple says it’s not the GPU, and the only way Apple will fix it is by replacing the logic board.

This all leads back to the bottom line. Money. A software diagnostic costs next to nothing to run. You bring your computer it in to an Apple store or authorized service center, they pop in a fancy USB stick and thats the holy grail to determining a GPU problem.  Now if it were to go beyond that, like how it should be diagnosed; by opening the computer, examining the components, testing which are faulty and which are not, then you would be using the time of a real technician and that costs much more to do.  Apple knows it, that’s why they hide behind their “policy.”

Isn’t it so simple for Apple? If their diagnostic utility won’t load and give a diagnostic report its not covered. Clear as day, in black and white; no diag, no report, no coverage. And this is very silly. How can you determine a nuked component on the mainboard of a computer by a software check in every instance? Sure, you may be able to pull it off from time to time if it didn’t experience a severe meltdown, but the majority of you are going to be swindled into thinking you need an entirely new logic board.

Technician Dave
After I made the rounds through various levels of support I managed to get a real hardware technician from Apple on the line. Lets call him Dave, for the sake of anonymity, he understood everything I was talking about and he even shared his thoughts and experiences he had with the GPU the problem. Dave told me he has been receiving feedback from many Apple service centers that they are finding more and more systems coming in that are not able to boot the diagnostic disc but have the same GPU failure. Wow I thought, do you really want to be telling me this Dave? He confirmed that the diagnostic utility is not always working and that many times a hardware tech will find this problem once they get in.  That is assuming they are looking for the problem.  Otherwise they just swap the entire logic board.  I thanked Dave for all the info and he connected me to customer service for the remainder of my request.

Its The Principal
I was trying to get Apple to pay for my friends repair bill. It wasn’t a whole lot of coin, $260 to repair a 17-inch MacBook Pro that was left behind as dead.  I also wanted to see their reaction to the news that their diagnostics did not work.  Not to mention its about the principal of the whole matter.  Apple, if an honest company, would address this once I brought the news to them that they had failed in their original evaluations.   And this is when I spoke to Mark. He was very polite, a veteran CSR that held his ground. Mark told me my friend would not be reimbursed. One of the reasons, although not admitted, was because it was not repaired at an Apple authorized service center. I believe if it was repaired at Apple’s own, they would have offered some sort of “credit” or compensation to my friend. This is because everyone up to Mark was asking all sorts of information about who repaired it, their name, location, website phone number.  I told them it all, it was Hi-Tech in NYC and I have a copy of the repair information I would be more than happy to fax over to them.  They did not want it.

I told Mark the reason why my friend didn’t take it to an Apple service center was because they wanted to replace the entire logic board and charge over $1000 when they could just repair the real problem, replace the defective GPU at a fraction of the cost. I further explained that since Apple proved negligent in diagnosing this common problem in his computer that was “eligible” for an out of warranty repair, my friend had no obligation to continue service and support through Apple.   Mark did not seem interested in this information, nor did he comment on the fact that the GPU was the failure and not diagnosed properly by Apple several months back. Mark finally apologized for our situation and said “if there is no diagnostic code, according to policy it is not eligible to be covered.”

I know Mark would have given my friend a nice iTunes gift card or some store credit if it was up to him, but it wasn’t. It’s Apple Policy. And Hi-Tech Electronics in NY continues to repair 10 MacBook Pros each week with the Nvidia GPU problem that more often than not should have been covered by Apple.

Editors Note: Names were changed in this article to protect the identity of the individuals.

1. Mike says:

Same problem on a 2011 MacBook Pro 17″… Turned on the power, hear the fan whirling but no display. Apple calls to tell me its a logic board failure and it’ll cost a flat rate of $310 to replace…

• Anonymous says:

This is a **hardware** issue.  So, Tom, before you stupidly respond to another topic, “USE YOUR BRAIN.”

• Hugo Lopes says:

I use linux on my A1260 Macbook Pro and this has just happened to me yesterday. I had been getting the vertical lines in the last weeks and yesterday it simply died after a reboot, after updating Arch linux. I’m including the link and some excerpts from this post in the email I’m sending to my local certified Apple repair center, to see if they do a decent job of the diagnostics.

Many many thanks for this post Fabrizio!!

2. Asi Greenstain says:

Apple and Dell Computers

If you have an Apple or a Dell computer, your computer will need to
    be sent to a repair depot so that the NVIDIA GPU can be replaced. Your
    computer will be returned to you after the NVIDIA GPU is replaced. You
    will not be asked to pay any shipping costs, but please do not send your computer anywhere until you receive shipping instructions. Follow the instructions sent by the Settlement Administrator- DO NOT send your computer to a service provider or retail store.

Once you send your computer in, please note that you may be contacted

Once you send your computer in, please note that you may be contacted
    by the manufacturer if your computer is in need of further repairs that
    are not covered by the settlement. You will be responsible for any
    associated charges to complete repairs that are not covered by the
    settlement.

4. Johan says:

I also had the exact problem Firehawk95 described, dark and light banding at the bottom of the screen, also about two weeks prior to the thing dying. I attached a photo.

5. Johan says:

I’m having the same problem’s mentioned here. My MacBook Pro (Early 2008) is dead, dark screen, no chime, dvd spins, front light fades in and out etc. Brought it to my local Apple Service Provider who told me the warranty test dongle didn’t go through, and asked me to call Apple about further options. I did, and they unsurprisingly told me I’ve got no coverage and that it’s a failed logic board. Apple tech guy told me my only option is a new logic board for the price of $1000.

This is such bullshit. Rapidly losing trust in this company which I’ve loved for so long.

6. Liz Smith says:

I have just had the same failure on my MacBook Pro. It fits the timeframe and serial number and all of the symptoms. It appears the graphics card fried my logic board and an Apple technician told me today that he can’t run the diagnostic software because my computer won’t start. I can get it fixed for their $310 repair fee, but they won’t cover it.
    So – from what I understand of this – the people who have been affected the worst – those who have had their whole computer fried because of this card – are the ones who are NOT getting their computers fixed for free?
    I will be fighting this until Apple agrees to pay for the repairs…

• Workinsync says:

I have reported this problem to the San Francisco ABC news’ program 7 on Your Side that helps consumers with problems like this. I hope they will follow up on it, especially since Apple is a local company.

• Workinsync says:

7. Firehawk95 says:

Don’t
    always believe the “Geniuses.”  Go to an Apple authorized repair guy
    for a full diagnostic. Saved me $1400 on a new machine I didn’t need.

I spoke at length with a senior tech in Cupertino for an hour.  He
    wanted to help (and he actually set me on the right path by suggesting I
    find a knowledgable authorized repair center), but Apple apparently has
    his hands tied, or perhaps Nvidia has Apple’s hands tied, or both.

For 2 weeks prior to the thing dying, the display intermittently showed
    light and dark banding at the bottom, which went away after a restart or
    after I opened and closed the clamshell.

Then, one day, a restart killed it: the diagnostic showed my machine’s
    logic board was destroyed when the Nvidia GPU overheated.  No life in
    the board at all.  Light at the front would flash, hard drive and DVD
    drive would spin, but nothing else, not even the startup chime… then
    nothing.  According to my research, this is a relative rarity; most of
    these GPU failures don’t take out the logic board.

Apple Geniuses (and their quasi-technicians in the store) told me
    repeatedly it was the logic board.  WRONG.  They’ll be getting back the
    new MBP they sold me last weekend.  No plug-in USB diagnostic that the
    Geniuses use can determine this when the logic board completely dies due
    to the Nvidia failure; only a trained technician with a degree hanging
    on the wall, and has encountered many of these before, can properly
    diagnose the problem.  This rules out the “pull out and replace” guys at
    the Apple Store.

I’ve got my trusty 2008 laptop back, but it should have been easier.
    Many people would simply have given up after the “genius” told them what
    they told me.

• Workinsync says:

Thanks for posting! I have the exact same problem. What did it cost you to get the diagnostic done at another shop? Once it was done, did Apple fix it for free? Was your computer unable to pass the Apple “diagnostic test”? They won’t tell me if they’ll cover mine or not because the computer won’t start up so they can’t do the diagnostic test. I’m not sure what to do. Thanks!

• Anonymous says:

The diagnostic would have cost me $100 if they determined the part was not covered by the service bulletin.  This was in Toronto.  I suggest getting phone numbers for all the Apple Authorized repair centers in your area and calling them to see if they are familiar with the problem.  The guy here knew all about it.  The plug-in diagnostic test will not work on a dead/fried main board.  A real diagnostic, with the machine taken apart, needs to be done with special equipment by a trained computer electronics technician (and not just with a USB memory card or plug-in hard drive).

• Robpetro says:

Hi Firehawk, I’m also in Toronto. Can you give me the name of the AASP you used? Thanks

8. CoCo says:

Hi, I’ve been quite confused about this topic for the past week after my 2 year 10 month old MBP gave me a blank screen after I tried waking it from sleep. (The fans whir on and the LED light shows, but no chime and a blank screen when I tried restarting). I hope that someone could help me. Basically, when I went to the Apple Store the next day, they essentially told me that “no chime” = failed logic board. In 10 minutes, they just said I needed a new logic board and needed to pay a $1000 bill to fix it. Is this article saying that it could still be the NVIDIA issue? I’m a college student and I honestly can’t afford the $1000 bill. Thanks.

9. Paulj says:

God you are an idiot. If the Video card fails the computer will still boot. The test will run and tell them whether or not it is covered. The other thing is at least Apple is willing to fix the issue. Dell and HP laptops had the same issue and both companies simply did nothing.
    Maybe you should do more research before you start pointing fingers.

Oh btw, I don’t own a mac so not a fan boy.

• Umm.. There is no video card inside a macbook, its a GPU chip directly on the logic board. As for the test running or not, Apple’s tech confirmed that it is not running even when the GPU failed. I dont know about Dell or HP as I do not use PCs. Thanks for your comment.

• Nestor says:

Try taking out the video card from your computer and see if it boots, If you’re so smart. It will only boot if you have a second, integrated card. Since the MacBook has only one video card, the G84-602-A2 Gpu chip, it will not POST without it, or if it the GPU is defective. Do your research before insulting people ! Nestor.

10. sajib opu says:

I think they should be more concsious about the problem.

11. aa123 says:

Apple products always worth their price. I am shure that whatever problem they have it will be fixed.

12. Dillz1220 says:

I don’t buy Apple computers. I buy Sony computers. Everything I have is almost Sony.

13. Superversion970 says:

really nice blog. apple is still one of the largest company in the market. they have a large number of customer. i think they will fix their problem and all will be ok very soon.

14. Creza5 says:

apple products are highly appreciated for their extra ordinary configration and features but the company should fix the problem.

15. Passdot says:

I never knew that, But apple should take some steps now.

16. amibolod says:

Really very bad luck for apple’s. But always i like their products and their feature.

17. Notunaktaid says:

I think it’s very shocking for the MacBook Pro owners and also for the users.

18. sarmad says:

Many of my friends love to use Apple products even they are much costly than others. I never purchased any Apple’s gadgets but such news will be frustrating for those who are addictive to Apple’s Gadgets.
    I hope they will fix it up.

19. Nice article. Good information. Apple is a stable company, They will recover. Policies might fail sometime, but they will rebound.

20. Nice article. Good information. Apple is a stable company, They will recover. Policies might fail sometime, but they will rebound

21. Riyadabc says:

This post seems interesting to me. I strongly belive it will helpful for any one

22. Sany says:

this article contain many important information about Nvidia which are not implemented correctly.this kind of incident is not good for apple. at last i said that this policy is so nice of me.

23. Yosep says:

I hope Apple can solve this problem soon to keep their product exist in the market..

24. I read a lot about Apple’s Inability to Determine Eligibilty of
    MacBook Pro GPU NIVIDIA.
    I think it oproblema domestic firm. I’m sure that will resolve quickly.
    We are dealing with a very stable and serious.
    Ascultaţi
    Citiţi fonetic

25. this is a good side.if any person visit this side then he or she know something.here most of the policy are real and comfortable.

26. Jurmala says:

this problem was to me, but nobody could help, and remained so

27. No doubt all products of apple is expensive but if you donot look on their price then you see how valuable they are. I think the problem which occur , apple will definately find a solution. but now its big loss for nvidia. i donot use this apple product but definately apple consider and check before release.

28. Not Satisfied says:

That’s shocking, you would expect Apple to do vigorous testing before releasing their products. This is unrelated but as I was reading it, it reminded me of all the problems Microsoft has with their Xbox 360 console. Everyone knows these big companies only have one thing on their mind, which is money. You would think with all the money they have they would be able to look after their customers, obviously not.

29. John Smith says:

I was shocked when i read this because, i am using nvdia graphic cards in my PC and Laptop since ages and it is doing fantastic job. I think it is good news for the competitors in the market who wants to take lead from Apple.

30. Rakesh says:

Its the superb policy brought forward to the customers .

31. Kamalthefirst says:

ya apple policy fails to determine eligibility of macBook Pro GPU Problems, for technical purpose user i agreed for that useful and great author thanks for information.

32. Maeidjugp says:

When people spend much for apple product than they expect high for this. I think apple should respect this!

33. Ahmar Kamal says:

apple hardware is a reliable and compatible they pop in a fancy USB stick and thats the holy grail to determining a GPU problem .They hook up a USB stick with Nvidia’s diagnostic software, start up your MacBook Pro

34. Whiterook1985 says:

good article and nice information but its hardly have good technical support

35. Dcdweerawardhana says:

I can’t think how Nvidia persist this release. I think this issue have a problem that infection Compaq & HP laptops few years ago.

36. Kasopeja says:

good for the apple resolution

37. Kasopeja says:

good for the apple resolution

38. Kasopeja says:

good for the apple resolution

39. Adrian says:

Apple has always been the correct policy, I’m curious to see the reaction of many users. Good luck you’re on track!

40. Adrian says:

41. Adrian says:

42. Adrian says:

43. Ami_aj says:

This is great information for us…..I like this Apple Policy. This is really great and useful. This is company needs to use this Apple Policy. This is awesome…….

44. Ami_aj says:

45. Ami_aj says:

46. Iceman Kelv says:

I considered getting an Apple once but in all honesty I found there was too much incompatibility with applications that ran on the web and tended to be more Microsoft-friendly. It’s true it is easier for Apple technicians to replace rather than repair.

47. Iceman Kelv says:

48. Aconpa says:

It seems Apple is looking to reduce the losses from the economic crisis and from the Stock Market

49. Aconpa says:

50. Frankuge007 says:

If the machine’s specifications call for the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics chip, then that is what the replacement will be.

I don’t think it’s the case that all NVIDIA chips of this type have this problem–I think it’s more likely that there were some bad manufacturing batches that somehow were not caught by the inspection process and which ended up being installed onto a large number of logic and motherboards. Many of us, including me, have never had a problem.

51. Frankuge007 says:

52. Exiexi1 says:

Apple policy fails but I don’t think this is a big problem. Apple is big company and I believe that everything will be ok very soon. I still have full trust in Apple!

53. NoreenNoor says:

Apple Hard Ware is still choice of many consumers it have a huge market, This issue may make one think twice while going for Apple Hardware but in my opinion is still on of the best Hard Ware.

54. Exiexi1 says:

55. NoreenNoor says:

56. NoreenNoor says:

57. NoreenNoor says:

58. NoreenNoor says:

59. Neo Si Hao says:

well, apple had been a successful company for a long time. people thought that apple was not going to make it, but through these years, apple make it so successful to be in the top of the technology and gadgets market! i think that this little problem is not going to be a problem.

60. Neo Si Hao says:

61. Neo Si Hao says:

62. Neo Si Hao says:

63. Sheebanmv says:

These results show that Nvidia hadn’t been implemented properly. I think it is a good news for competitiors who are looking to overtake apple’s product in the market. But everyone should remember that is just one of the steps of apple and they will not give up entirely.

64. Lucasa Pearl says:

Interesting information and very useful for me. It’s not good for reputation of Apple. May be other problems are available but we don’t know about it… Hope you find true at the end!

65. Lucasa Pearl says:

66. Lucasa Pearl says:

67. Lucasa Pearl says:

68. Jc Deato says:

Apple’s Eligibility Policy plain sucks. It is their responsibility to the customer to provide the best support that they can offer. These cost-cutting methods used by Apple shows that all they really care about is money.

69. kul bahadur rana says:

I think this policy is better then another policy because i had used this policy.

70. kul bahadur rana says:

71. Re69zaul says:

i like apple corporation.There’s feature r quite good.

72. Re69zaul says:

i like apple corporation.There’s feature r quite good.

73. Re69zaul says:

i like apple corporation.There’s feature r quite good.

74. Re69zaul says:

i like apple corporation.There’s feature r quite good.

75. Re69zaul says:

i like apple corporation.There’s feature r quite good.

76. ADNANAZEEM says:

THIS IS THE BEAUTIFUL SIT ABOUT MOBILES AND OTHER ELECTRONIC THINKS.MANY PEOPLE LIKE THIS SIT AND I TOO. SO THANK YOU

77. kul bahadur rana says:

78. kul bahadur rana says:

79. Sajib Opu says:

It’s really a big news. I think they should be more concerned about customers problem.

80. Sajib Opu says:

81. hasan murad says:

wow.i like it.bcoz it is very essential to us.

82. hasan murad says:

wow.i like it.bcoz it is very essential to us.

83. hasan murad says:

wow.i like it.bcoz it is very essential to us.

84. Sajib Opu says:

85. SAVA says:

I wonder what Nvidia will do next regarding these problem.

86. SAVA says:

I wonder what Nvidia will do next regarding these problem.

87. SAVA says:

I wonder what Nvidia will do next regarding these problem.

88. SAVA says:

I wonder what Nvidia will do next regarding these problem.

89. 19thjuly2010 says:

Apple has comprised a method of “evaluating” which is not right.

90. 19thjuly2010 says:

Apple has comprised a method of “evaluating” which is not right.

91. 19thjuly2010 says:

Apple has comprised a method of “evaluating” which is not right.

92. When people buy something for a high price they expect high quality.

93. When people buy something for a high price they expect high quality.

94. When people buy something for a high price they expect high quality.

95. avril says:

Before reading your post i don’t know about Apple Policy problem . But now i totally understand what it is. your post really easy to read,understand. Thanks for sharing your details with us.its helpful.

96. mbilalswl says:

good thanks and i like appleNot to mention its about the principal of the whole matter. Overall its the best. It will be helpful for further progress of this compant.

97. mbilalswl says:

98. ganesh lamichhane says:

It must be a terrible situation to face with now.

99. Botikol4u says:

Great blog! I agree with what the author said. Apple once again fails.

100. Botikol4u says:

Great blog! I agree with what the author said. Apple once again fails.

101. John_alex36 says:

I think that the article is right and Apple will fail soon because I think that Nvidia is the best brand

102. John_alex36 says:

103. Good Issue, i an sure that they will survive in the cut throat competition.

104. Jhapravas says:

Apple Really the loving one Brand it has introduced technologies much familiar to civilians.
    The best i phones and laptop computer brought.

105. Good Issue, i an sure that they will survive in the cut throat competition.

106. Someone says:

such a big loss to face of failure of apple policy.

107. Raja_adk22 says:

I think its very good product. i always use this product..thanks..

108. Waqas_khan_jadoon says:

oh dear this is the very big news now Nvidia has very big loss Its too hard for apple policy which failed but otherwise it is the best company

109. C0unterp0int says:

Thanks for the information…I have a Macbook but will think twice about getting a Macbook Pro now!

110. Foxy Brown46 says:

I dont see anything wrong with the apple policy, once a policy has been built, the only thing the company need is to follow the policy they have created.

111. Catherinmarkel says:

This is a good policy from apple, and very helpful for apple user

112. Zahid Riad says:

It is a big loss for Nvidia. This kind of problems hurts the company and it’s good for the other competitors.

113. Acca1902 says:

I am hoping to see the reaction. The problem is that how invidia cover up this issue.

114. Maris says:

Yes they have failed.but its a stable company,they will be the winners :D

115. I have problem with them. It’s so hard to have a good technical support, But if you insist, maybe you succeed …

116. Aurlux says:

I hate Apple Policy, they hardly respond to customers new needs

117. Diyanhari says:

nice article some nice information i got from this article

118. 666Demonia says:

Now that’s a big loss for Nvidia but i believe they will survive. This kind of problems hurts the company and it’s good for the other competitors.

119. Bhawani says:

Apple Policy related to Determine Eligibility of MacBook.

120. Cool Ghambhir says:

Its too hard for apple policy which failed…But its a stable company…They gonna crack it soon

121. Hasan1402 says:

I think this policy will be very good for apple. It will be helpful for further progress of this compant.

122. Soap says:

If I had this computer I wouldn’t be too happy with the problems.

123. T22 says:

I am also want to see their reaction to the news that their diagnostics did not work. Not to mention its about the principal of the whole matter. Overall its the best.

124. EdmarTech says:

I wonder how Nvidia survived this issue. It’s a problem that plagued HP and Compaq laptops years ago.