IFA: Mini Key keyboard from Nuu converts iPhone into a flipping clamshell

Nuu Mini-Key clamshell QWERTY flip case for the iPhone Photo: Mark Ehrman

Although the iZone at the IFA Berlin was chock full of interesting and attractive aftermarket enhancements for all things prefixed “i”.  My personal iPiphany didn’t occur until I ventured many halls away to the Nuu booth where I zoom in on the unassuming looking “Mini Key.” A protective case that also claims to resolve the iPhone 4 antenna issues sounds OK, but the real excitement here is the slide out adjustable hinge that turns your iPhone 4 into a flip phone, revealing, in all its tactile glory, a physical keyboard with raised letter keys and backlighting.

A potential game-changer for those who experience email and SMS frustrations with Apple touchscreens (it also makes video watching a hands-free experience). I don’t even wait to hear about the Bluetooth v2.0 class 2 and HID profile compliant Broadcom chip and the built-in rechargeable lithium-backlighting before reaching for my wallet. But, alas, this is a prototype and the real deal won’t hit the stores till around Christmas. The price, around $69. Santa, are you listening?

1. Stacey says:

I like it, and they have a few other interesting products on their site.

2. DK_TBS says:

Am i the only one to notice that in this picture bluetooth is turned off? But of fail right there.. I would defnitely buy this though. iPhone needs something like this

3. Sarah says:

No useful need? At the moment I’m planning on trading in my new iPhone 4 (had it for 2 weeks now) which I HATE for ANY blackberry that they’ll give me. I love the iPhone apps, and games and fun stuff…but for typing I find it slow, clumsy and unproductive. I spend more time fighting with my iPhone than I ever did with my BB. My BB made me productive and organized, the iPhone is a time waster. A tactile keyboard, at least for me, could change all that.

4. Corinne says:

I think I’d buy this. It actually doesn’t even look too bulky, which is a change.

5. DAP56 says:

I see a useful need for this- how about being able to see something other than a keyboard and your thumbs while inputing text? That’d be very useful, especially in landscape mode… The iphone should have had this anyhow, like the Epic 4G has now

6. Tim Ottinger says:

Why I say? I see no useful need for this whatsoever.