Verizon Wireless’ latest release of VZ Navigator 5.0 has taken mobile GPS navigation to a whole new level. They have integrated the VZN service with Facebook, what this means is you can update your status from the app, and even share your locations with friends. This is an option of course, you don’t have to share your location when you post to your FB status.
On the other end of things, they have enabled a Roadside Assistance service. You can send your location to a dispatcher who will send out help much faster then in the past.
VZ Navigator 5.0 is available today on select smartphones and handsets, including the BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone, LG enV TOUCH, HTC Touch Pro2 and Samsung Omnia. More device support will be added in the coming weeks. If you already use VZ Navigator you should be getting a message to upgrade to the new version. Download it from the Get It Now/Media Center and VZ Start or can add the feature through My Verizon.
The price, including continuous map updates and points of interest (not including downloads) is $9.99 a month for unlimited access or $2.99 for a one-day/24-hour.
Other new features of VZ Navigator 5.0:
- Improved Customer Experience – No need to wait for the entire route to download before starting their voyage because data will now be streamed, causing display screens to populate more quickly
- Enhanced Points of Interest – Access to premium places of interest with detailed descriptions, clearly branded by Map Icons
- Traffic Crowd Sourcing – Opt-in to anonymously send real-time location and speed to the VZ Navigator traffic reporting service, allowing quicker notifications and improved accuracy for all VZ Navigator users
- Alerts for Other Road Attributes – Graphic notifications for tunnels, U-turns, traffic circles and toll plazas
- “Say it Mode” – Select BlackBerry smartphones and Windows Mobile handsets allow customers to verbally search for and update destinations