Rogers Wireless Comes Under Fire, Charges for “Free” Text Messages

Rogers Wireless Comes Under Fire for "Free" Text Messages
And it seems like Rogers Wireless is getting itself in trouble again. Rosanna von Sacken is the mother of three teenagers and she is very displeased that the terms of her agreement have been changed on her. More specifically, she was told that all text messages received would be free (with the exception of “premium” messages), but now she’s getting charged for them.

Last September, the Vancouver-area mother signed up her two teenage daughters and one teenage son to a three-year Student My10 plan. Under the terms of this plan, the children would be able to have unlimited calls and texts to and from 10 selected numbers. All received text messages from other numbers would also be included in the plan.

However, those terms changed in July of this year. All of a sudden, Rogers started charging 15 cents per incoming message if the subscriber did not have a “texting” plan. Considering that von Sacken’s 16-year-old daughter sends and receives about 200 text messages a day, those charges can add up very quickly.

You would think that von Sacken would be protected by her contract, right? If Rogers decided to change the terms of her agreement, von Sacken should have the right to ditch her service, right? Not according to Rogers.

According to Rogers, the written contract is separate from the Terms of Service document. As such, Rogers says it has the right to change its services and fees, because these are in the ToS and not in the contract.

As you can probably guess, von Sacken isn’t the only one displeased with Rogers. In fact, the Better Business Bureau in Burnaby, BC “has received 581 consumer complaints about Rogers Communications in the last three years. It has given Rogers an ‘F’ rating for failing to resolve many of those complaints to the customer’s satisfaction.”

Will the arrival of competitors like Wind Mobile help to change the Canadian cell phone industry for the better? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Source: CBC

1. On Wednesday, a B.C. court ruled that Bell Mobility could not claim it was Canada’s “most reliable network” after Rogers challenged Bell’s ads as misleading.

2. atrus says:

What's the point of a contract when one party can change the terms at whim without consulting the other party? Useless.

This is an area the law should step in. Allowing this sort of "Gotcha!" in legally binding contracts erodes the value of having the contract, and the trust people have in them.

3. L Malik says:

Reminds me of my experience with Telus- a while back..__Yes, I did read the contract thoroughly, even the back page. then I proceeded to cross out the objectionable clauses and initialed them.__The sales rep advised that Telus may reject my application. But, my service was started a few days later..__One of the clasues was the automatic contiinuation one, where the contract was renewed automatically if I did not cancel at expiry.__Long story short- Telus tried to roll over the contract and stick me with charges. __I advised them to dig out their copy of my contract and check out the back page. Of course, they did not have it anymore and tried to tell me that the contract as spelled out by them was binding.__Not so…__The fact that they supplied the service meant that they agreed to my terms- and the fact that nobody there bothered to read the back page was their loss, and if they cared to take it further to small claims court, I would be happy to initiate the complaint.__Took a bit of time, but in the end the matter was dropped.

4. Robert Pan says:

The whole mobile phone scene is obscene! Rogers, Fido to name the two are bordering crooks when it comes to sign up fees and monthly bills. The manipulative and the opaqueness of the bills are stressing the customers out. lots of their customers have to fight to get fair billings. Even Comwave – once a friendly little internet connected phone company is now becoming opressive and hostile to it's customers! I have very bad experience with all three of them; Fido, Rogers and Comwave. Signing up for their services has become a stree in my life. Why can they play fair? Why all the hidden rules and charges? WIND mobile please come in and change the whole rotten scene! Please give those companies rigorous competition so they will respect the customers and behave! We are sicken tired of their billing practices and disregard for their customers!

5. Ron says:

and as usual, rogers is ripping people off. greedy, greedy corporation just won't let up when it comes to siphoning their clients clean of all of their resources. we would like it if the CRTC would just simply tell rogers to, " bye bye, you're out of here" and ban rogers from operating.

6. Dream on these bad guys , Bell, Rogers, telus will never change.. a zebra cannot change it's stripes http://thenonconformer.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/a

7. Pat says:

If it says free, then even 10 000 emails should be free…

8. Kyle says:

Maybe she should be a bit more concerned about her daughter sending and receiving 200 text messages a day? I mean I understand once in a while 200 in a day is quite easy. But on the regular? Wake up, tell your kid to pay attention in class and not send so many damn messages. My parents did the same to me and it really just messes up your school work. As I personally spent a majority of my time in high school texting I know the repercussions. Hell I still go to a great university but still, wake up.

9. Shabaaz says:

yeah ROBBERs at work again!