More WinMo with AT&T Tilt 2 Next Month

More WinMo with AT&T Tilt 2 Next Month
Everyone else may be getting pretty excited about upcoming Google Android phones, but AT&T still knows how to kick it with the boys in Redmond. Windows Mobile 6.5 is just around the corner, but my gut instinct is telling me that the upcoming AT&T Tilt2 won’t be getting newest WinMo treatment right out of the box when it ships on October 18th.

That release date puts the new AT&T Tilt 2 just a few days after the official Windows Mobile 6.5 launch, so that doesn’t provide AT&T and HTC with very much time to update the ROM. My guess is that an update will be provided shortly thereafter to give users the new OS, but you’ll probably be stuck with Windows Mobile 6.1 in the interim.

This would be in line with the HTC Touch Pro2, the phone that has already launched in some form through Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. As you may already know, the Tilt2 is really just AT&T’s branded version of the Touch Pro2, reverting back to the Tilt naming scheme that it used some time back.

Assuming that the specs on the AT&T Tilt2 will be identical to the versions being sold elsewhere, we can expect to find Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, a 3.6-inch resistive touchscreen at WVGA resolution, quad-band GSM, dual-band HSPA, TouchFlo 3D, GPS, five offset row QWERTY keyboard, Bluetooth 2.1, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3.2 megapixel camera, and a secondary front-facing VGA camera for video calls.

No word on price, but I guess we’ll find out by next month when this phone launches.

Source: Intomobile

UPDATE: So it seems that this phone will come with Windows Mobile 6.5 at launch after all. Sorry for any confusion.

1. Cliffy 44 says:

I meant to say after 10/5/09

2. Cliffy44 says:

I can get you (and that means anyone) an HTC Touch Pro 2 (GSM – AT&T Tilt 2) for $250.00. There's also a $25.00 S&H charge; as that's the freight that I am charged.

Check out this generic HTC web site, with details on the HTC Touch Pro 2

(Un-locked AT&T Tilt 2) handset.

The web site references to a different price. I can get you one for $250 + $25.00 S&H (no rebate – no contract – The handset and all of the included standard HTC accessories)

And, I can get you one for the same price in CDMA; if someone's opted not to go with AT&T.

Visa / MasterCard / Amex / Discover accepted after 9/5/09

Cliff Wild – The Cellular Seller
    cliff_wild@att.net

3. justin says:

lol he also says it will have a forward facing camera for video calls. in your dreams. no at&t cellphone does or will in the foreseeable future have the option to video call

4. shane says:

its funny he says that it comes with wm 6.1 and the pic has 6.5 on it lol

5. Spudnut says:

Yep, the article's author is evidently simply ignorant on the circumstances revolving around the way the WinMo OS is handled between MS, device manufacturer and subsidizer (AT&T in this case.)

6. Kevin says:

Diamond 2 launches the same day. $149 for the D2, $299 for the T2. They will come with Windows 6.5 The companies are already and have been working with the newest release of 6.5. Microsoft releases RTM versions before the official release date in order to get everything synced up for a launch day.

7. Nick says:

I read else where mobilecrunch.com that the Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2) will come out with the WinMo 6.5. The least ATT can do is release with WinMo 6.5 for the freaking delay. The release delay is really making me angry.