Home » Uncategorized » Porsche Possibly Interested in Buying Volkswagen

Porsche Possibly Interested in Buying Volkswagen

The average person thinks that Volkswagen and Porsche are two completely separate companies. Someone who thinks they are a little savvy believes that Volkswagen owns Porsche the same way that Daimler owns Chrysler (for the time being). Both of these types of people are wrong. In fact, the relationship is quite the opposite. Porsche wants to increase their stake in Volkswagen to 31%, and according to German law, this forces them to make a formal bid to take over the German auto-making firm outright.

While Porsche is interested in strengthening their bond with Volkswagen — the highly lucrative Cayenne SUV (pictured) is based on the VW Touareg — they don’t seem quite as interested in buying the company as they are in preventing foreign investors from doing the same. In all likelihood, Porsche will put in the lowest bid it can — about $134 per share — but they’re open to a buyout should it be accepted by shareholders.

Even if Porsche doesn’t buy Volkswagen, the 31% stake will be enough to accomplish their goals because the German state of Lower Saxony owns 20% of VW. Combine the two and they’ve got 51%, enough to prevent VW from falling into competing hands.

About Michael Kwan

A freelance writer and tech geek from Vancouver. Find me at michaelkwan.com and follow me on Twitter @michaelkwan.

Check Also


Try Oculus Rift And Wii To Roam Around On The Back To The Future Hoverboard

Check out how you can fly in virtual space by using an Oculus Rift and a Wii Balance Board.


Amazon Appstore for Android Holiday Deals, Including Free Apps

There are tons of deals from the Amazon Appstore that will be offered starting now and throughout the holiday shopping season. They say that they will have "hundreds of titles that are eitehr free... or available between 50-90% off" the regular price.


Black Friday: Google Play Store Apps, Games and Content on Sale All Weekend

Case in point, if you head over to the Google Play Store right now, you'll find that Google is celebrating all Cyber Weekend with discounts on all sorts of content. This includes many popular apps and games


Black Friday Deal: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-Inch for $100 Off

Did you manage to score any epic Black Friday deals this morning? Are you still ...


Arduino Co-Creator Releases Plans for $200 DIY Mobile Phone

Mellis was one of the people who came up with the now hugely popular Arduino platform and now he has come up with plans for people to build their own cell phone for about $200 in parts.


No Discounts for Apple Black Friday, Just Free Gift Cards

If you were hoping to save yourself some cash as you brave the Black Friday shopping crowds, you'll want to go somewhere other than the official Apple Stores.