Home » Uncategorized » Americans want legislation to guarantee 40mpg
Image_25438_tmimage.jpg

Americans want legislation to guarantee 40mpg

Now, I can completely understand why people would want to get gas prices down and fuel efficiency up, but getting the government to make it a law is something different altogether. According to a recent survey conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation, 78% of Americans want legislation that imposes a 40 miles per gallon standard for vehicles sold in the States. (I guess the other 22% would be the people who can’t go a day without busting around town in a Hummer.)

Moreover, nine out of ten surveyed expect gas prices to rise “in the near future”, and this is a big motivation for getting more fuel efficient cars. My take on the matter is that if you want a fuel efficient car, then go get one. Buy a Yaris, Prius, Smart car, whatever. Apparently, those polled agreed (at least somewhat), as 45% said that a temporary drop in gas prices would not encourage them to go back to big SUVs, preferring a “hybrid or other fuel-efficient vehicle” compared to six months ago.

About Michael Kwan

A freelance writer and tech geek from Vancouver. Find me at michaelkwan.com and follow me on Twitter @michaelkwan.

Check Also

wii-oculus-rift-hoverboard

Try Oculus Rift And Wii To Roam Around On The Back To The Future Hoverboard

Check out how you can fly in virtual space by using an Oculus Rift and a Wii Balance Board.

131129-amz

Amazon Appstore for Android Holiday Deals, Including Free Apps

There are tons of deals from the Amazon Appstore that will be offered starting now and throughout the holiday shopping season. They say that they will have "hundreds of titles that are eitehr free... or available between 50-90% off" the regular price.

131129-google

Black Friday: Google Play Store Apps, Games and Content on Sale All Weekend

Case in point, if you head over to the Google Play Store right now, you'll find that Google is celebrating all Cyber Weekend with discounts on all sorts of content. This includes many popular apps and games

131129-gtab

Black Friday Deal: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-Inch for $100 Off

Did you manage to score any epic Black Friday deals this morning? Are you still ...

131128-diy

Arduino Co-Creator Releases Plans for $200 DIY Mobile Phone

Mellis was one of the people who came up with the now hugely popular Arduino platform and now he has come up with plans for people to build their own cell phone for about $200 in parts.

131128-apple

No Discounts for Apple Black Friday, Just Free Gift Cards

If you were hoping to save yourself some cash as you brave the Black Friday shopping crowds, you'll want to go somewhere other than the official Apple Stores.