One of the first few notebooks to come out with the new ATI Mobility Radeon X600 and X700 graphics chips will be the Acer Travelmate 8100 series. The slightly lower end X600 will go inside the TravelMate 4600 and 4100 and Aspire 1690 and 1800 notebooks.
The powerhouse Travelmate 8100 series will ship with up to 512MB DDR2 533 SDRAM, upgradeable to 2048MB, a DVD-Super Multi double layer or DVD/CD-RW combo drive, 60/80 or 100 GB hard drive, a 15.4-inch WSXGA+ TFT LCD and of course the 128MB DDR video RAM ATI X700.
Additional integrated features like Bluetooth and 802.11g can be expected since it uses the latest Centrino technology, a 5-in-1 Multi Memory Reader (MMR) supporting MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, SmartMedia, Memory Stick and xD Picture Card will make for fast data transfers from your memory cards.
Some may call the 8100 a corporate powerhouse, I call it a gaming monster machine, prices will start at $2999 USD.
See press release below.
Acer launches new corporate widescreen powerhouse
New Acer TravelMate 8100 desktop replacement notebook
· Exceptional performance and battery life thanks to Intel Centrino “Sonoma” mobile technology
· Superior graphics with ATI MobilityRadeon X700 graphics and high-resolution 15.4” widescreen display
· One-touch Acer eManager software for power management, productivity and personalisation
Acer Computer today adds the TravelMate 8100 to its award-winning range of notebooks. Sporting the powerful Intel Centrino mobile technology platform with the latest Intel 915PM chipset, the TravelMate 8100 delivers cutting-edge performance and enhanced graphics capabilities – making it ideal for corporate users who want a mobile PC that satisfies both desktop and mobile computing needs.
“Equipped with the new Intel Centrino mobile technology, the TravelMate 8100 sets notebook computing ablaze. This notebook has everything a mobile power user craves,” said Antonio Leone, Senior Notebook Product Manager at Acer Computer Australia. “The proof of this is in its feature set, which is exemplary in all aspects including security, information management, graphics, display and connectivity.”
Featuring ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 graphics with up to 128MB of DDR VRAM, supporting PCI Express and Dual View, the TravelMate 8100 delivers stunning graphics that have previously only been available in high-performance desktop systems.
This mobile powerhouse features 30% greater viewing area thanks to the 15.4” high-resolution WSXGA widescreen display. The LCD displays 16.7 million colours at a resolution of 1680 x 1050, making it suitable for even the most detailed graphics work and ideal for group settings and presentations.
The TravelMate 8100 also supports simultaneous multi-window viewing using Acer’s GridVista software, which allows exceptional productivity benefits. This technology lets users take full advantage of the 15.4” widescreen by automatically resizing open application windows, keeping up to four applications viewable at the same time.
Featuring Acer’s SignalUp high-performance wireless technology, the TravelMate 8100 is ideal for mobile business users wanting maximum wireless signal strength and performance. A study by independent authority RMIT IT Labs found that Acer SignalUp technology provided a 25% boost in wireless signal strength compared to wireless notebooks from Dell, HP/Compaq and Toshiba.
Smart Card technology offers further investment protection, peace of mind and convenience. It simplifies network security and e-commerce by keeping track of a variety of data types, including user IDs, passwords, name and address information and credit card numbers. Stored securely in the smart card, this information can be used to automatically populate Web forms, such as login or checkout forms at an e-commerce site.
Acer eManager software is exclusive to the Acer notebook range and integrates four frequently used functions into a single easy-to-use interface:
· Acer eSetting allows users to quickly find and adjust preferred notebook settings such as display device, boot options, security and system information.
· Acer ePresentation allow users to select different resolutions for an external display or projector.
· Acer ePower Management allows users to choose from four power modes (entertainment, word processing, presentation, maximum battery life), view real-time battery status and enjoy up to 20% extended battery life over standard Windows settings.
· Acer eRecovery allows for easy and reliable data backup and quick system restoration without the need for recovery CDs.
The new TravelMate 8100 is designed around Acer’s new folio concept, with functional simplicity, smooth curves and subtle elegance. The TravelMate 8100 features easy-to-access front cluster access ports and controls, maximising user friendliness and convenience.
As with all Acer products, the TravelMate 8100 can be customised using Acer’s online BuildYourOwn configurator at www.acer.com.au. The Acer TravelMate 8100 is backed by Acer’s unique 2 Hour Warranty Express Service.
Acer TravelMate 8100 specifications
· Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
· Intel Pentium M Processor 760 & 740 (2GHz/1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache; 533 MHz FSB)
· Intel 915PM Express chipset
· Integrated Intel PRO Wireless 2915ABG network connection (802.11a/b/g) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED solution; supporting Acer SignalUp
· From 512MB DDR2 533 SDRAM, upgradeable to 2048MB
· 15.4″ WSXGA+ TFT LCD supporting 1680 x 1050 pixel resolution, 16.7 million colours
· ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 with 128MB DDR video RAM, supporting ATI POWERPLAY 5.0, Microsoft DirectX 9.0 and PCI Express
· From 60Gb Hard Disk Drive
· Integrated Bluetooth
· DVD-Super Multi Dual layer or CD-RW + DVD Combo drive
· 5-in-1 Multi Memory Reader (MMR) supporting MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, SmartMedia, Memory Stick and xD Picture Card
· 2.86kg · 363(W) x 265.7 (D) x 30.5 – 34.3 (H) mm
· Microsoft Windows XP Professional