Panasonic Computer Solutions Company, recently announced the release of the Toughbook CF-29, the new gold standard in high-performance, MIL-STD-810F, wireless-enabled notebook computers.
Based on Intel’s revolutionary Centrino mobility platform, the 7.9lb. moisture, dust and impact-resistant CF-29 features significant enhancements in chassis design, ruggedization, wireless connectivity, and touchscreen display technology.
Performance features include a low-voltage 1.2GHz Pentium(R) M CPU with 1MB on-die L2 cache, 256MB DDR-SDRAM (768MB max.), 40GB hardened hard drive, shock-and-vibration-dampened 13.3-inch XGA outdoor-readable display (touchscreen optional), and integrated 802.11b, Bluetooth, wide-area wireless, and GPS support.
“The Toughbook CF-29 is the industry’s first totally sealed, MilSpec 810F ruggedized, fully Centrino-compliant notebook,” said Rance Poehler, Panasonic Computer Solutions Company president.
“Our leadership position in the fully rugged, wireless marketplace space offers Panasonic the ability to blast past other products in this space by continually developing and utilizing the latest technology.”
Poehler noted that industry-standard Business Applications Performance Corporation (BAPCo (R)) MobileMark benchmark tests indicate the CF-29′s low-voltage 1.2GHz Pentium M CPU is approximately 15 percent faster and 30 percent more power-efficient than existing offerings using 1.7GHz Pentium 4 CPU’s in this product class.
“I challenged our design, engineering, and manufacturing staff to produce the most feature rich, high performance, robust product we’ve ever introduced, the Toughbook CF-29 demonstrates the advantages of doing all your engineering and building most of your components in-house,” Poehler said. “Panasonic doesn’t just vend ruggedized portables, we design and we build them. And that, more than anything else, is why the best keeps getting better.”
Performance and Portability
Weighing a full pound less than its highly successful predecessor, the Toughbook CF-28, the CF-29 brings new levels of performance, durability and connectivity to the fully ruggedized notebook market.
Utilizing Intel’s Centrino system architecture, 1.2GHz low-voltage Pentium M CPU, and 855GM graphics controller embedded chipset, the CF-29 flies through both standard business and custom industrial/public service agency applications thanks to such embedded technologies as a dedicated stack manager to simplify internal CPU auditing, micro-ops fusion of system operations, and advanced branch prediction, which helps avoid repetitive instruction execution.
Thirty-two bit color video resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels internal and 1024 x 768 pixels external is enhanced by Intel’s Extreme Graphics 2 technology and up to 64MB of shared video RAM. The optional touchscreen uses Panasonic’s new SuperClear technology for enhanced transparency, which gains 25 percent improvement on brightness over previous model.
Strength and Security
Designed in accordance with MIL-STD-810F standards, the CF-29 is the first Toughbook to utilize Panasonic’s revolutionary double-cross-rib technology to increase the rigidity of its lightweight, ultra-durable magnesium-alloy case.
Other rugged enhancements include the addition of a dispense gasket for increased water resistance, improved drop-shock resistance, hardened case hinges, enhanced antenna durability, anti-twist LCD-mounting technology, and additional rugged enhancements to the keyboard.
Like all fully ruggedized Toughbooks, the CF-29 features shock-mounting systems for major components, and a sealed keyboard, display panel, touchpad, multimedia bay, and connectors to protect against impact, vibration, moisture and dust and the Panasonic’s Toughbook 29 is independently tested to verify compliance with MIL STD 810F.
To encourage end-user compliance with government and corporate data-security requirements, the CF-29′s metal-encased, shock-mounted hard drive can be easily removed and replaced via a no-tools-required quick-access cover.
As the world leader in integrating wireless wide-area network solutions into notebook computers, Panasonic has equipped the CF-29 with the broadest array of simultaneously available communications and connectivity options in its class.
In addition to Intel Pro/w2100 802.11b wireless LAN support, the new Toughbook supports Bluetooth, GSM/GPRS or 1xRITT/CDMA, GPS and wired analog modem service. Four ruggedized internal antennas and a chassis redesign that simplifies upgrades for customers opting not to have public wireless pre-installed round out the communications package. The CF-29 also offers a simplified upgrade path from one wireless system to another.
Wired input and output ports include USB 2.0, 100BASE-TX/10 BASE-T Ethernet, 56K analog modem, serial, parallel, ext. keyboard/mouse, microphone, ext. monitor, and port replicator.
Toughbook(R) CF-29CTKGZDM Intel(R) 1.2GHz LV PentiumM CPU, Centrino(TM) system architecture, 13.3″ XGA TFT Active-Matrix Display with AR-featured Touchscreen, 40GB HDD, 256MB RAM, internal floppy drive, 100BASE-TX/10 BASE-T wired LAN, 56K analog modem, Windows 2000 Professional
Toughbook(R) CF-29C3KGZKM Intel(R) 1.2GHz LV PentiumM CPU, Centrino(TM) system architecture, 13.3″ XGA TFT Active-Matrix Display, 40GB HDD, 256MB RAM, internal floppy drive, 100BASE-TX/10 BASE-T wired LAN, 56K analog modem, Windows XP Professional.
– Fully Centrino-compliant system architecture with low-voltage 1.2GHz Pentium(R) M processor, enhanced SpeedStep(R) technology, 1MB on-die L2 cache, 256MB DDR-SDRAM expandable to 768MB.
– MIL-STD-810F-compliant chassis, increased shock, ingress and LCD protection with an 18 percent reduction in weight from previous Toughbooks in this class.
– Advanced fan-less heat-distribution technology for maximum ingress protection prohibits the introduction of dirt, dust, and moisture. Moisture, dust and dirt-resistant LCD, keyboard and touchpad. Sealed port and connector covers.
– Shock-mounted 13.3-inch XGA anti-reflective, daylight-viewable TFT display with 64MB of shared video memory.
– Optional SuperClear touchscreen is 25 percent brighter than previous models.
– Removable rugged 40GB UDMA hard drive embedded in proprietary shock-and-vibration damping system.
– Reduced form-factor motherboard extends internal module capacity without increase in case size.
– Simultaneous support for integrated Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2100 802.11b, GSM/GPRS or 1xRTT/CDMA, Bluetooth, GPS, wired LAN, and analog modem communication devices.
– Four internal antennas including multi-band and GPS.
– Environmentally sealed multimedia pocket supports floppy drive, optional DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive, second battery or telephone line-testing module.
– 2.5″(H) x 10.7″(D) 11 x.9″ (W), 7.94 lbs. w/battery and handle.