Press Release: AlphaSmart, Inc., a leading provider of technology solutions for education, today previewed the next generation, wireless version of Dana™ by AlphaSmart®. Dana is an affordable, two pound, laptop alternative powered by Palm OS® with a large screen and integrated keyboard. The newest model offers built-in Wi-Fi technology (802.11b), allowing Dana users to access email and the Internet wirelessly and enhancing Dana’s position as a true laptop alternative.
In addition to introducing internal Wi-Fi, Dana Wireless offers many new features, ranging from enhanced display quality to additional fonts in AlphaWord. Dana Wireless will be available for back-to-school season and customers will have the option of purchasing Dana with or without wireless capabilities.
“For more than ten years, AlphaSmart has been committed to providing affordable technologies for the classroom. Dana Wireless continues the AlphaSmart tradition of designing cutting edge and affordable technologies that support interactive learning in today’s classrooms,” said Manish Kothari, president and co-founder of AlphaSmart.
“PalmSource supports the innovative solutions being created by AlphaSmart, whose cost-effective mobile solutions are extending the use of exciting technology to educators and students,” said David Nagel, president and CEO of PalmSource, Inc. “The emergence of the new Dana demonstrates the momentum of the Palm OS and Wi-Fi environment.”
NECC attendees can visit the AlphaSmart booth (#3016) to experience the new wireless Dana.
New Dana Wireless Features
– Wi-Fi support: Support for 802.11b provides wireless network support, including wireless network printing with PrintBoy Premier, when using an external 802.11b device (USB dongle).
– SD/IO support (Bluetooth, and many other SD peripherals): Palm’s Input/Output library for SD allows devices such as Bluetooth SD cards and other SD peripherals to work with Dana.
– USB modem drivers: Additional support for several USB modems are now built into Dana.
– Enhanced display: Dana now supports 16 display shades of grayscale.
– Enhanced spell checker technology: AlphaWord’s spell-checking engine, dictionaries and thesaurus have been improved to provide faster and more robust language capabilities.
– PrintBoy Premier: A new version of PrintBoy, PrintBoy Premier, is now bundled into Dana. Upgrades include support for printing information from all of Dana’s built-in PIM applications.