Fuji Photo Film U.S.A., Inc. today unveiled the first consumer 6.2 megapixel (S-pixel: 3.1 million, R-pixel: 3.1 million) digital camera, which carries its proprietary new Super CCD SR (Super Dynamic Range) technology. Capturing pictures with quality approaching that of film, with 2,832 x 2,128 (6.03 million) recorded pixels, and dramatically increased dynamic range, the new Fujifilm FinePix F700 represents a new frontier in digital photography. The Fujifilm FinePix F700 is the first 6.2 million effective pixel (S-pixel: 3.1 million, R-pixel: 3.1 million) consumer digital camera on the market today.
One of two new Fujifilm digital cameras announced at PMA 2003, the FinePix F700 is intended for photo enthusiasts who want a near-film quality print experience from digital imaging products. The FinePix F700 produces digital pictures that stay truer to life than ever before, thanks to its Super CCD SR technology, which doubles the number of pixels on the chip. The SR sensor offers 3.1 million large pixels (S) with high sensitivity to light, and 3.1 million smaller pixels (R) with low sensitivity to light, resulting in a dynamic range of four times that of previous Super CCDs. Fujifilm combines this new technology with the traditional color integrity and overall high quality imaging Fujifilm is best known for, allowing consumers to capture truer-to-life images.
The FinePix F700′s sleek metal body echoes traditional film-camera design with centralized placement of its viewfinder, lens and 1.8 inch LCD screen. Its 6.2 million effective pixels (S-pixel: 3.1 million, R-pixel: 3.1 million) can produce high-resolution images with 2,832 x 2,128 (6.03 million) recorded pixels. In addition, the FinePix F700 offers on-demand continuous auto-focus, three color modes, manual functions, advanced movie recording capabilities, diminished shutter lag, and at 1.2 seconds, one of the fastest start-up times on the market. The FinePix F700 also comes with a cradle for easy downloading and recharging.
“The FinePix F700 is representative of Fujifilm’s focus â€“ leading-edge technology combined with an enjoyable user experience. The camera’s sleek and familiar form factor, combined with its increased dynamic range, heightened sensitivity, and unique functions will make it the new camera of choice for consumers who seek the highest standard in picture quality,” said Eric Thorng, Senior Marketing Manager of Consumer Digital Imaging Products, Consumer Markets Division, Fuji Photo Film U.S.A., Inc.
Some of the Fujifilm FinePix F700′s most exciting features include:
- Increased dynamic range and resolution â€“ The camera’s fourth-generation Super CCD SR technology provides 6.2 million (S-pixel: 3.1 million, R-pixel: 3.1 million) effective pixels, resulting in 2,832 x 2,128 (6.03 million) recorded pixel output. The sensor’s increased dynamic range helps to create pictures of a quality approaching that of film.
- Zoom â€“ The FinePix F700 offers 6.6x zoom capabilities, with a 3x optical zoom and 2.2x digital zoom.
- Exposure modes and manual functions â€“ The camera offers P/A/S/M exposure modes and manual settings, allowing consumers a more interactive experience while capturing high-quality images.
- High sensitivity â€“ The FinePix F700 offers auto sensitivity equivalent to ISO 160-400 when the LCD is on and the flash is off. Manual equivalency is ISO 200/400/800, and at 1600, when resolution is fixed at 1 megapixel.
- Rapid continuous auto-focus on demand â€“ The camera offers consumers a rapid continuous auto-focus (C-AF) on-demand mode in addition to its built-in autofocus capabilities. Consumers can choose to capture action shots in crisp, clear focus by pressing the C-AF button, located just to the left of the lens, to engage a full-time active fine focus adjustment. This choice conserves power, while allowing the consumer flexibility in capturing their images.
- Color modes â€“ The FinePix F700 produces near film quality pictures in standard color mode, and also offers black and white and chrome settings. The FinePix F700 also allows users to capture their images in RAW files as well as the JPEG format.
- Sleek and familiar style â€“ The camera’s unique horizontal design echoes that of traditional cameras, and places the viewfinder, lens, and 1.8 inch LCD screen in the center of its sleek metal body. Its start-up time is one of the market’s fastest, ready to capture images only 1.2 seconds from the time it is turned on.
- Movie recording with sound â€“ The FinePix F700 captures full resolution VGA digital video at 30 frames/second with sound, for non-stop unbuffered recording directly onto storage media. Movies can be replayed for friends and family at later dates on NTSC or PAL outputs.
The FinePix F700 comes bundled with an NP-40 battery, USB/AV cable, hand strap, 16MB xD-Picture Card, AC Power Adapter/Battery Charger, Picture Cradle, FinePixViewer 4.0, and ImageMixer VCD for FinePix 1.0 software. The camera will be available for purchase in spring of 2003 at the suggested list price of $599.95.